Katinka Hosszú among the best European athletes
According to index.hu, Cristiano Ronaldo was chosen as the best European athlete of 2017, for the third time in a row. Regarding the best Hungarian athlete, Katinka Hosszú finished in the 11th place which lags behind her bronze medal from last year but is still an outstanding result considering the illustrious names on the list.
As usual, the election was transacted by the Polish PAP news agency. The Champions League winner Cristiano Ronaldo received 159 points. He is followed by World Champion Formula-1 driver Lewis Hamilton with 143 points and Roger Federer, 2017 Australian Open and Wimbledon Champion.
Katinka Hosszú is the only Hungarian athlete who made it to the list. She received 34 points, which put her in the 11th place.
The Iron Lady finished in the third place last year with 136 points, which is seemingly a vast difference. However, 2017 was probably a tougher year overall, hence the result.
The top10 European athletes of 2017:
- Cristiano Ronaldo (Portuguese, football) 159 points
- Lewis Hamilton (British, Forma-1) 143 points
- Roger Federer (Swiss, tennis) 124 points
- Rafael Nadal (Spanish, tennis) 113 points
- Sarah Sjöström (Swedish, swimming) 75 points
- Marcel Hirscher (Austrian, alpine ski) 68 points
- Laura Dahlmeier (German, biathlon) 51 points
- Mo Farah (British, athletics) 51 points
- Chris Froome (British, road racing cycling) 50 points
- Katerina Sztefanidi (Greek, athletics) 41 points
- Katinka Hosszú (Hungarian, swimming) 34 points
Featured image: www.facebook.com/KatinkaHosszu