Budapest, 2017. április 15. A ferencvárosi Szekeres Klára (j2) és a bukaresti Linnea Torstenson (j) a nõi kézilabda Bajnokok Ligája negyeddöntõjében játszott FTC Rail Cargo Hungária – CSM Bukarest mérkõzésén a fõvárosi BOK Csarnokban 2017. április 15-én. A háttérben A bukaresti Anasztaszija Labacs (b) és a ferencvárosi Danick Snelder. MTI Fotó: Szigetváry Zsolt

Defending champions CSM Bucuresti are in the TIPPMIX EHF FINAL4 after they beat Ferencváros in the second leg of their quarter-final clash. The title holders’ fve-goal advantage was never really in danger as Paula Ungureanu finished off the home side’s hopes in the second half.


FTC-Rail Cargo Hungaria (HUN) vs CSM Bucuresti (ROM) 26:27 (15:14). (Agg 51:57)

FTC were positive they could turn the tides against CSM who brought a five-goal advantage to Budapest with their skipper Zita Szucsanszki recovered from her shoulder injury.

Another good news for the home side was that Blanka Biro started brightly in goal, yet the Bucharest team got the better of FTC in the first period of the Women’s EHF Champions League Quarter-final. The heroes from the first match, Carmen Martin and Bella Gulldén, kept the visitors ahead for most of the first half and the TIPPMIX EHF FINAL4 seemed very far for Ferencváros.

FTC gain momentum

A time-out from Gabor Elek did the job and the home side gathered momentum to re-take the lead. Goalkeeper Blanka Biro came up with vital saves and Marija Jovanovic finally started to find the back of the net from nine metres.

Ferencváros finished the first half with a one-goal lead but after finishing the first leg five goals down, they knew they needed a six-goal victory to advance.

The visitors sent in another key figure of the first leg, Paula Ungureanu, for the second half and the veteran goalkeeper pulled off some important saves. The defending champions comfortably kept their aggregate advantage as Ferencváros were desperately fighting for the lead.

Tempers flare

Wingers Nadine Schatzl and Viktoria Lukacs were the main sources of goals for the home team as FTC struggled from nine metres. Ungureanu continued to frustrate Jovanovic and when the visitors took the lead tempers flared and the match was stopped for several minutes until order was restored.

The clock was ticking and Ferencváros were forced to rush, which resulted in bad decisions and inaccurate shots for which Bianca Bazaliu and Gnonsiane Niombla punished the Hungarian team. Upon entering the last 10 minutes Schatzl equalized but by that time the FINAL4 was firmly in the visitors’ grasp.

Photo: mti

The last minutes offered no thriller this time as CSM cruised in to win by a one-goal margin and made it to the TIPPMIX EHF FINAL4 for the second time in a row.

TEXT: Bence Martha / jh

Source: EHF – press release

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.