This common and very annoying problem known as jet lag disorder affects many travelers. When we get to a time zone with different duration of daylight and night, we continue to live according to our internal clock, the circadian rhythm. As a result, we experience a loss of energy when everyone around us is awake, or, on the contrary, an excessive surge of energy at night.
Disruption of the usual rhythm of life, sleep, hormone production, and body temperature, causes dyssynchrony, the inability of our body to quickly adapt to a new rhythm. That’s what jetlag is all about. We go against our internal rhythm, and our body is stressed. The further we fly west or east from home, the greater the discrepancy between the internal body clock and the local time.According to studies, the symptoms of jet lag usually subside within three days, but the speed of adjustment to a new rhythm is individual for each person.
The symptoms of jet lag
The common symptoms of jet lag are disturbed sleep, nausea, weakness, fever, mood change, fatigue, disorientation, headaches, dizziness, vomiting, diarrhea, or constipation. Very often jetlag is accompanied by dehydration, gastrointestinal disorders, coordination, and memory problems.
The symptoms of jet lag may vary from person to person. Thus, it is proved that women endure jet lag more severely than men, which is associated with the impact of the regime of waking and sleeping on the hormonal background, as well as the greatest number of hormones produced. In addition, it has been proven that young people experience desynchrony more often than older people, and also tolerate it more acutely.
In addition, many people have a much harder time flying from west to east than in the opposite direction.
Is it possible to reduce jet lag or resolve it?
Unfortunately, it is not possible to get rid of it if you cross different time zones. However, it is possible to speed up getting over it and reduce its negative effects. Here are some tips for vacationers to overcome jet lag faster and enjoy the vacation: casino hungary
- Set your watch to the new time zone on the plane.
It is even better to start adjusting to the new daily rhythm before the flight: calculate the time difference and start preparing for it in advance. Go to bed earlier or later, depending on your destination. If the country you are traveling to is daytime when it is nighttime in your home country, try to keep the lights on longer and get used to the lighting. If you are flying east be ready to take a nap in the plane and don’t stay awake or gamble at the casino Hungary. Download some boring books or stock up on music for sleep, or make sure you have good quality Internet. You should customize your daily rhythm to minimize jet lag.
- Take melatonin supplements. Doctors recommend taking melatonin for a couple of days before you leave.
- Stay hydrated. Dehydration, especially on a plane, may cause the first signs of feeling bad and make the symptoms of jet lag even worse. The diet is also very important.
- Immediately after your arrival, you can take a short walk: it will help to relax, normalize blood circulation and get positive emotions. If the time of arrival was in the morning or lunch, you can safely go for a walk. It is important to lie down only in the evening, according to the local time, to adjust to the regime. If the plane landed at night, the road is one – to bed.
- Don’t try to remember how much time you have at home, just start adjusting to the new time zone.
- Do not go to bed early, even if you want to, it will delay the adaptation.
- Try to avoid both mental and physical stress on the first days at your destination.
Whether you travel for business or vacation, whether you are a casual traveler or a globetrotter, you can experience jet lag and its unpleasant symptoms if you travel through several time zones. Our internal circadian rhythm is disturbed by it, and we don’t feel good. However, it is possible to beat jet lag and speed up the recovery process if you help your body adapt to the new time zone. And stay positive: traveling is a great experience, and jet lag must not ruin it!