The Government would be happy to help transport the cross that is due to be demolished in France to Hungary
“The Government is willing to pay any expenses that arise and undertake the administrative burdens in the interests of enabling the cross that is condemned to be removed from the statue of Pope John Paul II in the town of Ploërmel to be transported to Hungary, if the leaders of the French settlement consent to it”, Minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade Péter Szijjártó announced at a press conference in Budapest on Thursday.
Mr. Szijjártó told reporters that the Ministry had contacted the local government of the small town in Brittany via the Hungarian Embassy in Paris, but had received no reply so far, adding that the cross would be received by the Saint Benedict Secondary and High School.
The Minister did not wish to comment on the Council of State’s decision to remove the cross, but said that all decisions that cite tolerance in a hypocritical manner to suppress Christianity, and which order the removal of Christian symbols, are “hugely damaging” with regard to the future of Europe.
According to the Minister, “astounding self-deprecation” aimed at suppressing Christianity goes against Europe’s interests. “Such measures must be regarded as attempts to do away with the continent’s civilisation and culture”, he said, adding that:
“These days we are seeing the emergence of issues that nobody previously thought could ever emerge, because irrespective of religious denomination nobody can dispute the fact that Christianity is a determining part of European culture”.
“Is it really true that in 21st century Europe we are removing a Christian symbol? It everyone entitled to religious freedom except for Christians?”, Mr. Szijjártó asked, adding that these were pivotal issues that affected the fate of the continent.
The Minister highlighted the fact that Europe’s Christian values must be preserved, and that people who arrive in Europe must accept and respect local laws and the traditions of the people who live here.
According to Mr. Szijjártó, illegal immigration is endangering Europe’s Christian nature, because becoming an immigrant country means that new arrivals will eventually want to overwrite local regulations.
In reply to a question, the Minister told reporters that none of the Hungarian citizens who had registered for consular protection while in the United States had been injured in Tuesday New York terrorist attack. Many have not registered for such assistance, however, and for this reason Mr. Szijjártó asked Hungarians living abroad or travelling to foreign destinations to register for consular protection.
Mr. Szijjártó also warned that the success of international military action against the Islamic State also bears with it various dangers, in view of the fact that some of the “revenge-hungry” terrorists want to come to Europe. Preventing this is a task for both the secret services and border security, because “if we let nobody in then we will not be letting the terrorists in either”, he added.
Source: kormany.hu – press release