Alpár Kató | Dec 8, 2018 | 0
Hungary condemn vandalisation in Transcarpathia – VIDEO
The Hungarian Prime Minister’s Office and Foreign Minister Péter Szijjártó have firmly condemned the vandalisation of cars with Hungarian number plates in Transcarpathia’s Berehove (Beregszász), on Friday.
They said in separate statements that the incident in which windows of seven Hungarian-registered cars were smashed by unknown perpetrators in a housing bloc area in the town in western Ukraine in the early hours on Friday was unacceptable.
Deputy Prime Minister Zsolt Semjén and State Secretary János Árpád Potápi called the incident a “clear provocation” against ethnic Hungarians of the Transcarpathia region.
“It fits well into the series of recent acts targeting the Hungarian community,” they said, referring to late last month’s petrol bomb attack against the headquarters of ethnic Hungarian cultural association KMKSZ in Uzhhorod (Ungvár).
In his statement, Szijjarto also called it unacceptable that Hungarians have “to live in fear” in their motherland, in Transcarpathia.
He said this recent attack justifies his earlier call for the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) to extend the presence of its special observers to the region.
The PM Office and the foreign minister both called on Ukrainian authorities to take action concerning the recent incident as well as to provide for the security of Transcarpathia Hungarians.
Photo: YouTube – Перший Кабельний