The original construction of the bridge happened in 1876, but in the 19th century, the bridge was not connected with Margaret Island. It took many years to realise that the bridge needs a path leading to the island to open it up for citizens.
PestBuda reported that the bridge was not built by state order but by the decision of the court of the Austrian Archduke, and they decided to connect the bridge with the island in 1898. They started the construction in 1899, out of excellent Hungarian materials, and it took one year until the path was opened and even Archduke Joseph appeared at the opening celebration on a warm August day 120 years ago.
The bridge was designed by French engineer Ernest Goüin and built by the construction company Maison Ernest Goüin et Cie. between 1872 and 1876. Margaret Bridge was the second permanent bridge in Budapest after Széchenyi Chain Bridge. The reason for this unusual geometry is that the small extension to connect to Margaret Island was inserted into the original design but not built until two decades later due to the lack of funds. There were many though who protested and demanded not to make the pathway to preserve Margaret Island from people.
With the pathway built, Margaret Bridge is the only one in Budapest that has a curve in its structure.
The bridge was destroyed during World War II by German troops and was later rebuilt. By the end of the 2000s, the bridge became dangerous for people and drivers, and needed to be renovated entirely as soon as possible. Reconstruction works started in 2009, and after careful work, the bridge was opened again.
Featured image: Wikimedia Commons by Jakub Halun