Tamás Cserép | Apr 19, 2019 | 1
National development minister sees chance for new utility cuts
udapest, August 18 (MTI) – Hungary’s government wants to maintain the results of its utility cuts scheme and intends to continue the programme, the national development minister said on Thursday.
Interviewed by business weekly Figyelő, Miklós Seszták said he saw a chance for a new round of utility cuts if the government can find a way to manage the programme more efficiently.
Seszták did not offer details on the likely extent of the price cuts, noting that it would, in part, depend on the result of the infringement procedure the European Commission launched against Hungary over an earlier utility cuts scheme last year. The scope of the price cuts will also depend on how gas prices change, which is also an unknown at this point, the minister added.
On another subject, Seszták said the government does not intend to close down Budapest’s Déli railway station for the time being.
He noted that the government is preparing to launch three major rail projects in the near future. These include the expansion of the Kelenföld station in Buda and the refurbishment of the Nyugati and Keleti train stations on the Pest side.