Based on recent statistics, Cristiano Ronaldo is approaching the goal count of the legendary football player, Ferenc Puskás, the pride of Hungary. The rising legend may reach the count of other one-time top players, e.g. Pelé or Bican.
According to Index, Cristiano Ronaldo scored his 700th goal against Luxemburg on the European Championship Qualifiers. The 34-year-old Portuguese player has scored this count on 973 matches and jumped on the eternal rank of football players to the 6th place, just one score behind Gerd Müller, marca.com reports. There are only 9 scores between Ferenc Puskás and him.
This comparison is based on the scores of national teams and football clubs.
Take a look at the list of the top seven players of European football below:
- Jozef Bican (1928-56) – 805 scores – 530 matches
- Pelé (1956-77) – 779 scores – 842 matches
- Romario (1985-2009) – 748 scores – 965 matches
- Puskás Ferenc (1943-1966) – 709 scores – 720 matches
- Gerd Müller (1962-83) – 701 scores – 762 matches
- Cristiano Ronaldo – 700 scores – 973 matches
- Lionel Messi – 668 scores – 823 matches
Jozef Bican is still leading the ranks with an extremely high score count. He was born in Vienna, and he played there and in Prague in the Austrian and the Czechoslovakian teams.
Source: index.hu marca.com