The best traditional Hungarian country meal during the winter season: boiled bacon!
This simple Hungarian delicacy is the favourite in the Hungarian countryside and you will be surprised how easy it is to make. It only takes a few ingredients, steps and two days of mellowing to make your family happy.
- Bacon (any kind)
- 2 litres of water
- 15-16 tablespoons of salt
- Garlic cut up to 14-15 slices
- 10-11 bay leaves
- Black pepper
- 1 jar
- Other spices you like
- Boil the water on a bowl while adding some salt to it and steer the water until you see that the added salt dissolved completely. When the water starts to boil take the bowl off from the stove and wait until the water becomes approximately 30-40 Celsius.
- Wash and clean the garlic and cut the bay leaves up into as small pieces as possible. Cut up the bacon as well into medium sized pieces which will fit in the jar. After this make small incisions on the sliced bacon and put the garlic into them.
- Put the prepared bacon into the jar along with the other remained ingredients. Last but not least, pour the warm salt water into the jar.
- Cover the top of the jar and mellow the bacon for two days away from the sunlight. After two days it is ready to be served.
Featured image: www.facebook.com/kotonyhus