Budapest, September 21 (MTI) – A lawsuit concerning the European Union’s migrant quotas may get in the hearing stage at the Luxembourg European Court of Justice next year, the justice minister said in an interview to Wednesday’s Magyar Idők daily.
László Trócsányi said that the case could end with a ruling that sets a legal and political precedent. He said there was no connection between the Oct. 2 Hungarian referendum on migrant quotas and the lawsuit.
“The decision on the court proceedings had already been made, and this concerns the stance against the binding distribution of 120,000 migrants, while the referendum is about how we decide our future,” the minister said.
Meanwhile, on the topic of introducing a new public administration court, Trócsányi said he had in 2014 indicated in a ministerial hearing that he intended to deal with the issue, saying that around 80 percent of the Hungarian body of law is represented by disparate administrative law.
“One of the aims of the organisational reform and regionalisation is to focus expertise. Above the 7-8 regional courts will be the public administrative high court and the Kúria, Hungary’s supreme court, will remain at the top. Our goal is not to dismantle the unity of the justice system,” he said.
Alongside organisational reforms, an independent public administrative procedural code has been established, he noted. “There is no debate about this,” he said. “The disagreement only concerns the organisational transformation, but I trust that by the end of the year we will be able to come to an agreement, and the new system will come on line from 2018,” the minister added.