Budapest, January 16 (MTI) – The success of Hungarian border police measures introduced last year has shown that protecting the external borders of the European Union is crucial for successful migration policy, the prime minister’s domestic security chief advisor said on Saturday.

The government expects illegal migration to continue through 2016 and all efforts will be made to protect Hungary from it, Gyorgy Bakondi told a press conference.

The EU has made unsuccessful attempts at resolving the migration problem and an agreement with Turkey has not been effective. Migration quotas cannot offer a solution because they are contrary to EU laws and carry high security risks, threatening the future of the EU and the nation states, he added. The wave of migrants must be stopped primarily at the Bulgarian and Macedonian borders, he said.

More than 1.5 million migrants arrived in Europe last year, which equals the population of Estonia, he added.

Last year, more than 391,000 illegal migrants arrived in Hungary, up from 44,000 in 2014 and sligtly over 3,000 in 2010, he said. A total of 177,000 requests for asylum were submitted last year before Hungary sealed its border with a fence on the border in mid-September. Some 152,000 people left Hungary before their request would have been assessed, 3,000 requests were turned down and 2,600 people were expelled. Hungary granted 146 refugee status and 356 were granted subsidiary protection, Bakondi said.

Between mid-September and the end of last year, a total of 748 people were apprehended for illegally crossing the border and 104 since then.

In response to a question about a brawl at the Kiskunhalas refugee camp that broke out on Friday, he said 180 police had to be sent to restore peace and order. Three men held in migration detention at the camp started a fight with each other over the use of internet. They were seperated by security guards and police but a group of 20-25 other people held in detention pelted stones at the police, injuring two officers.

The Bacs-Kiskun County prosecutor told MTI that an investigation has been started against 14 people and charges could be pressed for violence against officials.

Photo: MTI

Source: http://mtva.hu/hu/hungary-matters

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.