When setting up a trucking business, you need to apply for licenses and permits. In addition to applying for a commercial driver’s license, you also require certificates from the Federal and the State Department of Transportation. USDOT number, Operating Authority (MC) number, other licenses are also essential for operating your business. The purpose of obtaining these permits is to ensure that your trucking business complies with safety protocols while on the road. The TXDOT Number cost varies, depending on the duration for which you want a TxDOT number.
TxDOT number is one of those requirements by the Texas Department of Transportation.
What is a TxDOT number, and who issues a TxDOT number?
A Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) number is a unique number given to transportation companies operating within the state. The State of Texas issues the TxDOT for motor carriers. Fleets operating for a transportation company must display the TxDOT number on their vehicles.
The Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (TxDMV) website offers more information regarding this. Be sure to check it out.
When you apply for a TxDOT number, you receive a certificate registering your company and ensuring that you comply with the safety standards.
What businesses require a TxDOT number?
Transportation companies require a TxDOT number in the following circumstances:
- Businesses that carry on commercial activities are required to have a TxDOT number. In addition to this, if the gross weight of the vehicle is more than 26,000 pounds, you must have a TxDOT number.
- Moreover, if your business involves transportation of hazardous materials, including toxic waste, you need to have a TxDOT number.
- Likewise, motor carriers that transport people, including school buses, require it. If you own a bus service facilitating more than fifteen people, including the driver, you need a TxDOT number.
- Freight companies that provide residential and commercial moving services also require a TxDOT number.
However, there are a few exceptions. Vehicles for private schools, daycare, nursing homes, and hotels do not require a TxDOT number.
There is some ambiguity regarding trucking businesses requiring a TxDOT number or USDOT number. These are different numbers. The TxDOT number is issued by the State Department of Transport, while the USDOT number is issued by the Federal Department of Transportation. The USDOT Number is a unique number identifying a trucking business and its operations.
Some trucking companies may also require a USDOT number for interstate operations. According to the FMCSA (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration) official website, there is a list of States that require “intrastate motor vehicle registrants” to obtain a USDOT number in addition to the State DOT number. Trucking businesses operating in Texas also need a USDOT number, even if they conduct operations within the state. Follow this link for more information.
Step-by-step procedure for applying for a TxDOT number
If you are applying for a TxDOT number, the following steps provide information:
- The application process is done online on the eLINC registration system.
- Gather all the relevant information that you require for filling out the form. It includes the applicant’s name, the name of the business, address, social security number, credit card information, information regarding the vehicle, etc.
- Before applying for a TxDOT number, you also need to apply for a USDOT number. Applications for USDOT numbers are online, and you can find more information about them on the FMCSA official website. If you do not yet obtain a USDOT number, you can mention it on the application and apply for a TxDOT number anyway. When filling the form, you will also be asked to apply for a USDOT number.
- The TxDOT number is only available for a couple of years. At the end of this period, you must renew it. You can sign up on the eLINC platform for a new TxDOT number. You can also renew the number.
- In addition to this, provide insurance details regarding your business.
For new applicants, it takes about one to two days to review the applications. In some cases, it takes about seven days for processing (in addition to one to two days).
Most commercial trucking businesses operating within Texas require a TxDOT number, in addition to a USDOT number. Make sure that you comply with all State and Federal regulations to operate your business safely.