The government has determined that the actual situation of Hungary’s 2026 budget is uncertain, and therefore it is ordering a full and instant review, a decree issued in the latest issue of the official gazette Magyar Közlöny shows.

The finance minister has been tasked with carrying out the review by 30 June. This year’s budget had been voted into law in June 2025 and has been modified since then on several occasions. At Monday’s briefing following a government meeting, it was stated that the government’s goal is for the budget to be based on real numbers, to ensure a sustainable path for the country, and to guarantee Hungary’s financial stability, the Hungarian News Agency wrote.

EU funds talks could be concluded by end of August, says premier Péter Magyar

With intensive work, all issues regarding the EU funds due to Hungary could be resolved by the end of August, Prime Minister Péter Magyar told Monday’s government spokesperson press conference.

Péter Magyar and the government spokesperson
Photo: MTI/Hegedüs Róbert

Magyar said the matter was “a top priority”, noting that he had exchanged letters with European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen over the weekend. Talks between government members and EC leaders, who are in Budapest until Friday, are about to start, he added.

Have you read this? Magyar government to decide on the fate of non-EU guest workers next week, but outlook is not promising

He said both sides had agreed with von der Leyen that “this money belongs here, in Hungary, with the Hungarian people, in the Hungarian health-care system, the Hungarian education system, and in infrastructure.”

Hungary's budget Hungarian parliament Péter Magyar
Péter Magyar’s Tisza has supermajority in the Hungarian Parliament. Photo: Anadolu/Róbert Németi

Both sides, he added, were doing everything possible to sign a political agreement in Brussels next week, which would allow the open questions to be settled.

Have you read this? Magyar government releases documents concerning previous President’s clemency scandal