Budapest, July 2 (MTI) – Városliget Zrt, the company responsible for overseeing the reconstruction of the Transport Museum in Budapest City Park, has called for an investigation into violence against a demonstrator at the site of the museum on Friday.
László Baán, the government commissioner for the Liget Budapest project, which involves the construction of several new buildings in the park, said late on Friday that one of the protesters climbing onto the roof of the building has been hurt, as seen on a video made public online. Dávid Vitézy, the director of the Transport Museum, said in a statement that he condemns the violence and wants a probe into what happened at the construction site on Friday.
Environmentalists have been protesting against changes planned in the City Park for months. Budapest police removed 33 activists from the construction site where a sit-in was organised on Tuesday. Protesters had broken through a fence which they claimed had been erected unlawfully by the security guards on duty at the construction site and occupied the building. One person was taken into custody.