One of Hungary’s most delicious specialities is the Hortobágy pancake – meat-filled crepes, topped with rich gravy and a generous amount of sour cream. Check out how to make it at home!
Chicken paprikash is the main ingredient in this recipe. The finished stew is strained, the gravy should be silky, and the meat can be minced or left diced. The finished stew is always served with a sour cream mousse, and fresh sour cream can be added to garnish the dish.
The original Hungarian recipe can be found on SóBors.hu.
Read alsoPope Francis to visit Hungary this spring
Ingredients for 4 portions
For the stew:
- 80 dkg chicken breast fillet
- 3 heads of onion
- 1 tomato
- 30 dkg sour cream
- 1 strong green pepper
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground red pepper
- a little oil
For the crepes:
- 25 dkg fine flour
- 2 dl milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 pinch of salt
- a little oil
Preparation of the Hungarian meat-filled crepes
- Chop the cleaned onion into small pieces.
- Cut the meat, peppers and tomatoes into small dice and cubes.
- Braise the onion in a little oil. When it is softened, add the red pepper and the meat. After stirring well, season with salt and pepper, and fry it a little.
- Add the peppers and tomatoes to the pot, cover with 200-250 ml of water and simmer for 30-35 minutes.
- Stir the sour cream into the stew and wait until it gives a crackling sound.
- Strain the stew, add a few tablespoons of gravy to the meat and mix thoroughly.
- Mix the flour with the eggs and salt until smooth.
- Slowly add the milk.
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil to the crepes batter.
- In a lightly oiled frying pan, fry the crepes on both sides.
Stuff the pancakes with meat. Roll them up into a baguette, pour the sauce on top, and serve the meat-filled crepes with sour cream.
Read alsoPHOTOS, VIDEO: Hungarian castle hotel among the Heritage Awards winners