The so-called ’paprikás krumpli’ or – according to its English version ‘Hungarian potato paprika’ – is an unmissable dish that perfectly represents the intensity of Hungarian flavours, says Cafe57 Restaurant‘s chef Péter Áldási. It is a phenomenal culinary experience for all those who would like to have a hearty Hungarian feast, including the most characteristic ingredients like the Hungarian paprika.
Ingredients for 4 people:
- 1000 grams (35.2 ounces) of potatoes, peeled, cut into medium size cubes
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium fresh tomato – chopped
- 1 sweet yellow pepper (bell pepper, wax pepper, banana pepper) – cut into small pieces
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 good tablespoon of sweet paprika powder
- half a coffee spoon of ground caraway seeds (optional)
- 100 grams (3.5 ounces) of smoked paprika sausage – cut into ¼ inch slices
- vegetable oil
- ground black pepper
- pickles to serve
Sauté the onions in a little olive oil over low heat, frequently stir, until it gets translucent. Then add the sweet Hungarian paprika and stir it. When the pepper turns brown, sprinkle it with some red paprika. Then add the scalded, tiny diced tomatoes and peppers, and the minced garlic. Pour 1 cup of water and cook it for 10 minutes. After that, add the sausage slices and the tiny cubed potatoes, and pour in just enough water to cover, flavour it with salt and ground black pepper.
Cover, bring it to a boil and slowly simmer until the potatoes are tender.