The 24th Sziget Festival will be held on Óbuda Island (Óbudai-sziget) from 10 August to 17 August 2016. BKK Centre for Budapest Transport, the mobility manager of the Hungarian capital, provides higher frequencies on suburban railway line H5 and on tram line 6, and also operates vehicles with bigger passenger capacity on night lines 901 and 918, and launches special dedicated boat services to provide access for Sziget visitors to the venue of the festival. Transfer buses will be running between Liszt Ferenc International Airport and Óbuda Island. BKK recommends taking public transport to reach the Óbudai-sziget as fast as possible. Visitors in possession of a CityPASS wristband valid from 6 August will be able to use public transport services free-of-charge.
During this year’s, the 24th Sziget Festival to be held between 10 and 17 August:
- more frequent daytime services and also night services are provided on suburban railway H5,
- tram line 6 is running more frequently at night,
- higher capacity is provided on night bus lines 901 and 918,
- special dedicated boat services are launched to Óbudai Island from Petőfi tér and Jászai Mari tér,
- shuttle bus transfers are provided for CityPASS holders from the airport directly to Sziget.
BKK at the Sziget Festival
From Monday, 10 August 2016 (Wednesday) until the last day of Sziget 2016, a BKK Customer Service Point will be operating at the venue of the Sziget Festival. An Ikarus 260 type bus converted for this event will be found near the main Sziget entrance by the K-híd (bridge).
In addition to being able to purchase different types of public transport tickets, passes and travelcards, you will be able to gather information on our products and services from our colleagues who speak different languages. Our representatives will also be ready to help you with advice on how to reach your destination by public transport in Budapest.
MOL Bubi at the Sziget Festival
In addition to the Customer Service Point, you will be able to get familiar with the MOL Bubi public bike-sharing system and give it a go at the docking station installed at the venue. You will be able to only try the bikes on the venue of the Sziget as bikes can be hired from and returned only to the existing 99 docking stations. You will have to chance to purchase the 24-hour, 72-hour and weekly tickets on the spot as well as get information on the use of the system.
Take public transport to the Sziget Festival on Óbuda Island
BKK enables easier and quicker access to the Sziget Festival for non-Hungarian visitors from Liszt Ferenc International Airport by increasing surplus capacity. Our customers help and provide information at Customer Service Points and ticket vending machines to be found at the airport.
The fastest transport mode to reach the venue of Sziget Festival 2016, Óbuda Island is suburban railway H5 from which you have to get off at the Filatorigát stop.
Suburban railway H5 can be accessed at the following connection points in Budapest:
- from the city centre, by metro line M2 to the Batthyány tér M+H stop,
- or by tram lines 4 and 6 to the Margit híd, budai hídfő H stop;
- from South Buda, by tram line 17 to the Margit híd, budai hídfő H stop or by tram line 19 to the Batthyány tér M+H stop;
- from Liszt Ferenc International Airport, by bus line 200E to the Kőbánya-Kispest M terminus where you have to transfer to metro line M3 to the Deák Ferenc tér M stop and transfer at the Deák Ferenc tér M stop to metro line M2 and get off at the Batthyány tér M+H stop;
- from Déli pályaudvar and Keleti pályaudvar, by metro line M2 to the Batthyány tér M+H stop;
- from the Árpád híd regional bus station, by tram line 1 to Szentlélek tér H;
- from the Népliget bus station, by metro line M3 to the Deák Ferenc tér stop where you have to transfer to metro line M2 to the Batthyány tér M+H stop;
- from the Puskás Ferenc Stadion bus station, by metro line M2 to the Batthyány tér M+H stop.
Other services operating to Sziget Festival:
- boat services from Petőfi tér and Jászai Mari tér,
- boat line D12,
- bus lines 9 and 109 from the Óbuda, Bogdáni út terminus,
- bus lines 34, 106, 134 and 226 from the Kaszásdűlő H stop.
Please check the following maps on how to get to the Sziget Festival.
Higher frequency and more capacity on some of our public transport lines
In order to support increased passenger numbers during the Sziget Festival, we provide higher frequencies as well as more capacity on some of our services.
- Suburban railway line H5: from 5:30 on Wednesday, 10 August to 20:00 on Wednesday, 17 August suburban railway line H5 runs more frequently with six-car trains. The suburban railway is running also at night during the festival between Batthyány tér M+H and Kaszásdűlő stations every 15 minutes.
- Tram 6 operates more frequently in the evenings and at night from late night on 10 August to the early morning on 11 August and from late night on 16 August to the early morning on 17 August.
- Night buses 901 and 918: service will be provided by larger-capacity articulated buses on the Hungária ringroad from late night on 10 to the early morning on 11 August and from late night on 16 to the early morning on 17 August.
Special dedicated boat services
Between 10 August and 17 August, dedicated boat services connect Petőfi tér (Erzsébet híd) and Óbudai-sziget as well as Jászai Mari tér and Óbudai-sziget. CityPASS holders as well as passengers in possession of public transport tickets and passes purchased at the prices specified by BKK can use the boat service.
Please click here for the schedules of the special boat services.
Piers to be served by the special boat lines:
- Petőfi tér (Erzsébet híd): piers served by BKK’s scheduled boat lines,
- Batthyány tér M+H: piers served by BKK’s scheduled boat lines,
- Jászai Mari tér (Margit híd): Pier 8,
- Óbudai-sziget: piers served by BKK’s scheduled boat lines.
Sziget-Airport shuttle service
On the first days of Sziget Festival 2016:
- From 8 to 12 August (Monday to Friday) – during the days of “moving in” and the first days – free direct transfer service is provided from Terminal 2 of Liszt Ferenc International Airport to Sziget (Óbudai-sziget)
- The shuttle runs every 30 minutes between 8:45 and 00:30 at night
- This a one-way service from the airport to town
- The service is free for Sziget Budapest CityPASS holders, but it is also accessible with regular BKK tickets and passes
- To pick up your CityPASS please stop by at the BKK Customer Service Centre at the arrivals level of Terminal 2B
On Monday, 17 August, the day of “moving out” :
- Direct one-way transfer service is provided from Sziget to Terminal 2 of Liszt Ferenc International Airport only in the direction to the airport
- The shuttle runs every 10 minutes in the early hours, every 15 minutes in the morning and every 20 minutes later on between 3:00 in the morning and 14:00
- The service is free for Sziget Budapest CityPASS holders, but it is also accessible with regular BKK tickets and passes
The front-door only boarding policy applies on this service, which means that bus drivers check the CityPASS wristbands.
Please click here for the timetables.
Further service changes in public transport
The boarding point of boat lines D11 and D12 will be relocated during the Sziget Festival. Instead of Jászai Mari tér:
- northbound boats will serve Pier 8
- southbound boats will serve Pier 10
This year as a first, public transport boat D12 will serve the Óbudai-sziget pier as an additional travel option for festival goers.
During the festival, bus line 226 will not enter Óbudai-sziget (Óbuda Island) therefore it will not serve the stops located on the island. The bus will run between Árpád híd M (metro station) and Aquincum H (suburban railway station), and after the Bogdáni út stop it will run via Szentendrei út serving all stops along the way.
Road traffic restrictions in the area of Óbuda Island
For security reasons, please note that traffic restrictions will be in place again during the Sziget Festival in the area of Óbuda Island. From 20:00 on Friday, 5 August to 18:00 on Thursday, 18 August the section between Mozaik utca and the Auchan connection road of Ángel Sanz Briz út will be closed, also the section between Mozaik utca 16 and Ángel Sanz Briz út will be closed. In the Mozaik utca – Ángel Sanz Briz út – Óbudai rakpart junction, the traffic light will be operating in a flashing amber-light mode during the event.
During the same period no parking or stopping at the following locations:
- on both sides of Reményi Ede utca between Szentendrei út and Ángel Sanz Briz út
- on both sides of Benedek Elek utca between Szentendrei út and Ángel Sanz Briz út
- on both sides of Vajda János utca between Szentendrei út and Ángel Sanz Briz út
- on both sides of Mozaik utca between Szentendrei út and Ángel Sanz Briz út
- on both sides of Leányfalu utca between Reményi Ede utca and Mozaik utca
- on both sides of the Óbudai embankment between Mozaik utca and Szépvölgyi út
- on both sides of Ángel Sanz Briz út between the Auchan access road and Mozaik utca
- on the Auchan connection road and the area between Szentendrei út and Ángel Sanz Briz út to the east of the roundabout
As the Sziget ticket offices will be located in the parking area near the intersection of Ángel Sanz Briz út and K-híd leading to the island, it will be prohibited to stop there.
Only special permit holders will have car access to the area marked by Szentendrei út – Reményi Ede út – Ángel Sanz Briz út – Mozaik utca during the event.
At the request of the Budapest Police, car access will be prohibited to the section of the lower Buda embankment between Halász utca and the Mozaik utca junction – with the help of police cordons – every day from 18:00 to 22:00 between 9 August (Tuesday) and 17 August (Wednesday). Car access to the closed section of the embankment is possible for destination traffic only based on the judgement of the police.
The official partner of Sziget is City Taxi using officially fixed fares. Taxi services will be monitored and controlled with special focus by BKK in the Sziget area.
Both the blue Sziget-Budapest CITYPASS pass and the dark-blue 48-hour CITYPASS entitle you to an unlimited number of trips during their validity periods
- on Budapest public transport on bus, tram, trolleybus, metro, cogwheel railway, suburban railway and ferry services and on public transport riverboat lines
- on the full route of the SZIGET–AIRPORT special transfer service. On the airport-to-Sziget route, the Sziget wristband vouchers are also accepted for travel
- on the special dedicated boat services to Óbuda Island departing from Petőfi tér as well as Jászai Mari tér
- The CITYPASS wristband is valid for travel only if worn on the holder’s wrist in an undamaged condition. The same holds true for the 48-hour CityPASS ticket with the difference that it needs to be validated by punching. The Sziget wristband is to be fastened by the plastic clip. Unfastening the clip, which is always clearly visible, will render the wristband invalid for travel.
Further services available with the Sziget-Budapest CITYPASS
- CITYPASS along with the gift bath coupon ensures a one-time free entry to any of Budapest’s many thermal baths or swimming pools and a 20% discount for all later visits with the valid CITYPASS wristband
- 50% off the price of numerous museums in Budapest and in the countryside
- 50% discount for coffee at the Fő tér Gázlámpa Kioszk
- 20% discount for the The Center of Scientific Wonders (Csodák Palotája) or the attractions of the Csopa Playbar
- 20% discount for the combined Giraffe Hop on Hop off sightseeing tour
- 20% discount for the Sziget VIP Boat
The CITYPASS is valid from midnight on 6 August until 18 August, available at the price of HUF 9,900.
The 48-hour CITYPASS is valid from the day of purchase to midnight on the following day, available at the price of HUF 3,600.
The CITYPASS wristband passes are sold at BKK Customer Service Points at the airport and at Sziget sales points as well. Please note that the CITYPASS is not valid for entry to the festival.
Have a good time at the Sziget Festival!
Source: BKK Centre for Budapest Transport