Népsziget was a popular and lively place. Szeretlekmagyarorszag.hu looked after how it looks like now.
Népsziget is situated north from the Hajógyári Island, Northern Railway Bridge cut it in half. Its name was Saban Island in 1695, it is 2 km long and its area is 50 hectars. It is popularly known as Mosquito Island and Snail Island too. In 1825, the island was connected with Újpest and it became a peninsula, actually. During the industrial revoulution, a lot of factories were built there for example the Ganz Danubius Shipyard.
According to szeretlekmagyarorszag.hu, Hungary planned that the 1928 Olympics could be organized on the island, buti t did not manage to. However, boat houses were built and the island became popular among people who like doing sport. There were beaches, apartments, kayak and canoe departments. After the regime change, the island lost its functions. The factories closed and the sport places became abandoned.
Nowadays Népsziget is not so well-known: the „visitors” are predominantly homelesses and drug addicts. There are a lot of trash, and the wastewater treatment plant near stinks. But in spite of these, there are some hidden tresasures. You can find here a riding school and a dog school, two pubs and an animal park with domestic animals, szeretlekmagyarorszag.hu says.
Water sportsmen like the island, there are rowing, kayak and canoe departments and Water May Day. Népsziget is a very interesting place, it has sandy beaches and romantic paths. Hopefully, the island will be popular again soon.
based on the article of szeretlekmagyarorszag.hu
translated by Becsi
Photo: dunaiszigetek.blogspot.com, Daily News Hungary
please make a donation here