A 93-year-old man died in a Hungarian hospital seconds after the nurse mistakenly gave him the wrong medication in last September. The local Prosecutor’s Office of Zalaegerszeg pressed charges against the nurse.
Charges were pressed against the nurse who gave a patient a wrong medicine, not the one that the doctor previously prescribed, at Saint Rafael Hospital in Zala County, Hungary. The patient, who was an old man, died not long after receiving the wrong injection.
As Blikk reported, Csaba Pirger, spokesman of the Prosecutor’s Office of Zalaegerszeg explained that the nurse was a thirty-year-old woman from Zalaegerszeg. She worked in the hospital in the form of sole proprietorship in liberal profession. Usually, after a doctor prescribed the medication, she gave it to the patients independently.
The local Prosecutor’s Office of Zalaegerszeg pressed charges against her for reckless endangerment within the course of one’s profession.
What happened exactly?
A 93 year-old-man was taken to the Saint Rafael Hospital’s emergency room by ambulance last September. He was experiencing increased shortness of breath, for which the doctor prescribed two capsules of medicine and an ampoule of intravenous injection. The doctor notified the nurse about this orally, but the medical transcriptionist who was also present, wrote the prescription down on the patient’s treatment paper.
Out of inattention, however, instead of the two capsules, the nurse gave an intravenous injection to the patient that was never prescribed by the doctor.
After this, within just a couple of seconds, the old man’s blood circulation collapsed, and he got sick. Even though the nurse, as well as others, did everything they could to try to save him, after two times of resuscitations, the patient died.
It was later established that the mistaken injection that caused the cardiac arrest and the acid-base imbalance that evolved after the resuscitation led to the acute circulation failure – which is referred to as the direct cause of the old man’s death. His already existing illnesses, however, also contributed to the unsuccessful resuscitation.