[box] Budapest, July 15 (MTI) – The Hungarian foreign ministry so far knows of one Hungarian woman who was injured after a truck drove into a crowd of people celebrating Bastille Day in Nice, Tamás Menczer, the ministry’s spokesman told MTI early on Friday.[/box]
French authorities have yet to give Hungary an official update on the attack’s potential Hungarian casualties, he said.
The Hungarian embassy in France is now trying to make contact with Hungarian citizens in the country, Menczer said, adding that over 12,000 people have registered for consular protection.
At least 84 people were killed in the truck attack and 18 are reported to be in critical condition.
Hungarian President János Áder expressed his condolences to the families of the victims in a telegram sent to French President Francois Hollande on Friday.
Áder said he was saddened to hear the tragic news of the attack. The president said the attack vindicated the belief that Europe must do everything it can to stop “those obsessed with killing” so that its citizens are not threatened “by the forces of terrorism and destruction”. He said France can count on Hungary’s help in the fight against terrorism.
Orbán expresses condolences over Nice terror attack
Prime Minister Viktor Orbán has expressed his condolences over the Bastille Day truck attack in Nice to French President Francois Hollande, the prime minister’s press chief said.
The prime minister condemned the attack, calling it “shocking and unacceptable”, Bertalan Havasi told MTI on Friday.
“On behalf of the Hungarian people, I would like to express my sincere condolences to you, the French people and the families of the victims,” Orban wrote in his telegram to Hollande.
House speaker expresses condolences
The Hungarian parliamentary speaker also expressed condolences to the presidents of the French National Assembly and the Senate over the attack.
“On behalf of the Hungarian National Assembly and the Hungarian people, I would like to express my deepest condolences to the victims of the families over the barbarous attack we resolutely condemn,” László Kövér wrote.
He stated Hungary’s full solidarity with France in the fight against terrorists and their supporters.
Photo: MTI/EPA/Olivier Anrigo
please make a donation here