During this year’s Sziget Festival to be held between 7 and 13 August 2019:
- more frequent daytime services and also night services are provided on suburban railway H5,
- Tramlines running along the Grand Boulevard and the tram replacement buses are in operation more frequently at nights,
- higher capacity is provided on night bus lines 901 and 918,
- special dedicated boat services are launched to Óbudai Island from Jászai Mari tér,
From 5 to 14 August, transferbuses are running between Liszt Ferenc International Airport and the Óbudai Island.
BKK at the Sziget Festival
From 7 August 2019 (Wednesday) until the last day of Sziget 2019, a BKK Customer Service Point will be operating at the venue of the Sziget Festival. An Ikarus 260 type bus converted for this event will be found near the main Sziget entrance by the K-híd (bridge). In addition to being able to purchase different types of public transport tickets, passes and travelcards, you will be able to gather information on our products and services from our colleagues who speak different foreign languages. Our representatives will also be ready to help you with advice on how to reach your destination by public transport in Budapest.
MOL Bubi at the Sziget Festival
In addition to the Customer Service Point, you will be able to get familiar with the MOL Bubi public bike-sharing system and give it a go at the docking station installed at the venue. Bikes can be hired and returned at the already known 143 docking stations , however visitors interested in the public transport system can be informed on the system.
Take public transport to the Sziget Festival on Óbuda Island
By making trips of foreign visitors arriving at the Sziget Festival more convenient and faster, BKK operates direct transfer buses between Liszt Ferenc International Airport and Óbudai-sziget on the days of “moving-in” and on the last day of “moving-out”. Please click here to get information on their timetable: A dedicated staff and foreign-language brochures at the airport help you inform on transport services.
A special dedicated boat service is in operation from Jászai Mari tér to Óbudai Island between 7 and 13 August from the afternoon to late evening on a daily basis. Please find the timetable here.
The fastest transport mode to reach the venue of Sziget Festival 2019, Óbuda Island is suburban railway H5 from which you have to get off at the Filatorigát stop.
Suburban railway H5 can be accessed at the following connection points in Budapest:
- from the city centre, Déli pályaudvar and Keleti pályaudvar, by metro line M2 to the Batthyány tér stop;
- From Dél-Buda, by tramline 19 or 41 to the Batthyány utca stop;
- from Liszt Ferenc International Airport, by bus line 100E, on which specific fares apply, to Deák Ferenc tér and transfer at the Deák Ferenc tér M stop to metro line M2 and get off at Batthyány tér;
- from Nyugati pályaudvar, by tramlines 4 and 6 to the Margit híd, budai hídfő stop,
- from the Árpád híd regional bus station, by tram line 1 to Szentlélek tér;
- from the Népliget regional bus station, by tram line 1 to Szentlélek tér;
- from the Puskás Ferenc Stadion bus station, by metro line M2 to the Batthyány tér stop; or by tramline 1 to Szentlélek tér.
Your attention, please!
- Due to current refurbishment works on tramlines 4 and 6, these tramlines run on a shortened route between only Margit híd, budai hídfő and Corvin-negyed. Between Széll Kálmán tér and Margit híd, budai hídfő and Corvin-negyed and Móricz Zsigmond körtér and between Corvin-negyed and Újbuda-központ, replacement buses are in operation. (Please find the map making the traffic changes understood more easily here.)
- Boatlines D11 and D12 do not serve Óbudai Island during the Sziget Festival.
Other services operating to Sziget Festival:
- on foot from the Óbuda, Bogdáni út terminus of bus lines 9 and 109,
- on foot from the Kaszásdűlő H stop of bus lines 34, 106, 134 and 226.
Please find Budapest’s public transport network maps for daytime services here and night services here.
Please check the maps and graphics on how to get to the Sziget Festival.
Higher frequency and more capacity on some of our public transport lines
In order to support increased passenger numbers during the Sziget Festival, we provide higher frequencies than regularly as well as more capacity on some of our services.
- Suburban railway line H5: from 7 August (Wednesday) to 14 August (Wednesday) suburban railway line H5 runs more frequently with six-car trains. The suburban railway is running also at night during the festival between Batthyány tér M+H and Acquincum stations every 10 minutes.
- Tramlines operating on Grand Boulevard and the replacement bus operate more frequently in the evenings and at night from late night on 7 August to the early morning on 8 August and from late night on 13 August to the early morning on 14 August.
- Night buses 901 and 918: service will be provided by larger-capacity articulated buses on the Hungária ringroad from late night on 7 to the early morning on 8 August and from late night on 13 to the early morning on 14 August.
Special dedicated boat service between Jászai Mari tér and Óbudai-sziget
Between 7 August (Wednesday) and 13 August (Tuesday), a dedicated boat service is in operation every 15 minutes between Jászai Mari tér (Margit híd) and Óbudai-sziget. CityPASS holders as well as passengers in possession of public transport tickets and passes purchased at the prices specified by BKK can use the boat service.
Please board the boat at pier 8 at Jászai Mari tér and at the pier of public boat D12 at Óbudai-sziget. The schedule of the line is available here.
Sziget-Airport shuttle service for ‘’moving-in” and “moving out”
On the first days of Sziget Festival 2019:
- From 5 to 11 August (Monday to Friday), free direct transfer service is provided from the arrival level of Liszt Ferenc International Airport to SZIGET (Óbudai-sziget)
- The shuttle runs every 40 minutes between 8:45 and 00:45 at night.
- Between 5 and 8 August, this special line runs only to Óbudai Island. The bus does not carry passengers to the airport. Between 9 and 11 August, the transferbus can be used also to the airport.
- The service is free for Sziget Budapest CityPASS holders, but it is also accessible with regular BKK tickets and passes.
- To pick up your CityPASS please stop by at the BKK Customer Service Centre at the arrivals level of Terminal 2B.
On Wednesday, 14 August, the day of “moving out”:
- Direct one-way transfer service is provided from SZIGET to the departure level of Liszt Ferenc International Airport.
- The shuttle runs every 10 minutes in the early hours, every 15 minutes in the morning and every 20 minutes later on between 3:00 in the morning and 14:00.
- The dedicated bus service is to be used only to Liszt Ferenc International Airport; the bus does not provide service to the Sziget Festival.
- The service is free for Sziget Budapest CityPASS holders, but it is also accessible with regular BKK tickets and passes.
- The front-door only boarding policy applies on this service, which means that bus drivers check the CityPASS wristbands. The schedule of the line is available here.
Further service changes in public transport
The boarding point of boat lines D11 and D12 will be relocated during the Sziget Festival. Instead of Jászai Mari tér, the boarding point will be closer to the bridge, at pier 10. The scheduled public boat lines D11 and D12 does not serve the Óbudai-sziget during the Sziget Festival.
During the festival, bus line 226 will not enter Óbudai-sziget (Óbuda Island) therefore it will not serve the stops located on the island.The bus will run between Árpád híd M (metro station) and Aquincum H (suburban railway station), and after the Bogdáni út stop it will run via Szentendrei út serving all stops along the way. During that period, the busline does not serve the stops along the Óbudai Island.
Road traffic restrictions in the area of Óbuda island
For security reasons, please note that traffic restrictions will be in place again during the Sziget Festival in the area of Óbudai Island. From 20:00 on Friday, 2 August to 18:00 on Friday, 16 August 2019, the section between Mozaik utca and the Auchan connection road of Ángel Sanz Briz út will be closed, also the section between Mozaik utca 16 and Ángel Sanz Briz út will be closed. In the Mozaik utca – Ángel Sanz Briz út – Óbudai rakpart junction, the traffic light will be operating in a flashing amber-light mode during the event.
During the same period, parking is prohibited at the following locations:
- in district 3, on both sides of Reményi Ede utca between Szentendrei út and Ángel Sanz Briz út;
- on both sides of Benedek Elek utca between Szentendrei út and Ángel Sanz Briz út;
- on both sides of Vajda János utca between Szentendrei út and Ángel Sanz Briz út;
- on both sides of Mozaik utca between Szentendrei út and Ángel Sanz Briz út;
- on both sides of Leányfalu utca between Reményi Ede utca and Mozaik utca;
- on both sides of the Óbudai embankment between Mozaik utca and Szépvölgyi út;
- on both sides of Ángel Sanz Briz út between the Auchan access road and Mozaik utca;
- on the Auchan connection road and the area between Szentendrei út and Ángel Sanz Briz út to the east of the roundabout.
As the Sziget ticket offices will be located in the parking area near the intersection of Ángel Sanz Briz út and K-híd leading to the island, it will be prohibited to stop there.
Only special permit holders will have car access to the area marked by Szentendrei út–Reményi Ede út–Ángel Sanz Briz út–Mozaik utca during the event.
At the request of the Budapest Police, car access will be prohibited to the section of the lower Buda embankment between Halász utca and the Mozaik utca junction – with the help of police cordons – every day from 14:00 to 03:00 between 7 August (Wednesday) and 15 August (Thursday). Car access to the closed section of the embankment is possible for destination traffic only based on the judgement of the police.
The official partner of Sziget is City Taxi, Budapest Taxi and Főtaxi. Your attention, please! Taxi services can be provided only on the price specified by the authority. We would like to kindly ask you to use the service of taxis operating legally, which are supplied with well visible taxi fare charts, in order frauds could be prevented. Taxi services will be monitored and controlled with special focus by BKK in the Sziget area.
Sziget – Budapest CITYPASS
During its validity period, the two-day, the five-day and 13-day Sziget-Budapest Citypass entitle to unlimited trips
- on Budapest public transport, on bus – except for bus line 100E –, tram, trolleybus, metro, cogwheel railway, suburban railway and ferry services and on public transport riverboat lines within the administrative boundaries of Budapest.
- on the full route of the SZIGET–AIRPORT special transfer service. On the airport-to-Sziget route, the Sziget wristband vouchers are also accepted for travel
- on the special dedicated boat services to Óbuda Island departing from Jászai Mari tér.
The CITYPASS wristbands is valid for travel only if worn on the holder’s wrist in an undamaged condition. The same holds true for the 48-hour and five-day CityPASS tickets with the difference that it needs to be validated by punching. The Sziget wristband is to be fastened by the plastic clip, which invalidates the Sziget wristband for travel in case it is unfastened. Unfastening the clip is always clearly visible. Unfastening the clip, which is always clearly visible, will render the wristband invalid for travel. Further discounts are applicable in possession of the Sziget – Budapest CITYPASS.
The CITYPASS with the validity period of 13 days is valid from 0:00 on 3 August to 12:00 midnight on 15 August. Its price is HUF 14,900. The 48-hour CITYPASS is valid from day of purchase to midnight of the following day and is available at the price of HUF 5,900. The five-day CITYPASS is valid from the day of purchase to midnight of the fifth day and is available at the price of HUF 9,900. Further information and CITYPASS ticket purchase are at the website: szigetfestival.com/hu/citypass. In person, CITYPASS can be purchased at BKK Airport Customer Service Centre or at SZIGET.