Those Romanian nationalists who brutally attacked Hungarians including women and children trying to protect the gate of the cemetery in Dărmănești/Dormánfalva (Romania) in June were decorated by the local mayor last week.
A few hundred people were celebrating the Romanian Armed Forces Day organised by the Dărmănești mayor’s office and Romanian nationalist associations. According to itthon.ma, they read the names of those Romanian soldiers whose graves are allegedly in the military cemetery of the Austro-Hungarian soldiers. The organisers transported a lot of people to Dărmănești to show how many supporters they have.
As we reported before, on June 6, Romanian nationalists aiming to inaugurate an illegally erected memorial in the WWII cemetery of Úz Valley attacked Hungarians protecting the cemetery’s entrance. The Romanian government claimed then that nothing violent happened while
Budapest said that it is outrageous
that Romanian authorities could not protect Hungarian citizens and allowed nationalists to destroy and desecrate the cemetery. Many thought then in Transylvania that the incident is very similar to what happened in the Black March of 1990 in Marosvásárhely/Târgu Mureș when Romanian nationalists attacked Hungarian civilians demonstrating peacefully for the rights of the Hungarian ethnic community living in Transylvania. Many Transylvanian and Hungarian news outlets said that the leader of the gendarmerie supposed to prevent the clash between Romanian nationalists and Hungarian civilians was instead organising the attack of the Romanian nationalists.
All speakers of last Friday hailed those Romanian nationalists who managed to get into the cemetery in June and called them heroes. After singing the Romanian national anthem, the celebration continued with orthodox liturgy followed by reading out the names of those Romanian soldiers who died there during WWII. Henceforward, all who took part lit torches and marched towards the newly erected memorial of the fallen servicemen.
Finally, the mayor of Dărmănești, Constantin Toma,
decorated those who were in a leading role during the events of June 6.
Not only the first man who could get in the cemetery was awarded but also the Orthodox pope who blessed the concrete crosses of the Romanian soldiers and the leading organiser of the attack, Mihai Tîrnoveanu, chairman of the Calea Neamului Association.
He said in his invitation for last Friday that “foreigners” would overthrow the Romanian crosses. “You all know that if we were not there, the leaders of the country would enable that for Hungary and the RMDSZ (Democratic Alliance of Hungarians in Romania)“. Tîrnoveanu added that nothing violent happened in June, they just remembered with dignity the Romanian heroes and
if the RMDSZ says anything else, they are lying.
You can watch below a video about what happened:
In the final part of the event, the mayor of the village and Mr Tîrnoveanu emphasised that they have to stop the “expansion of the Hungarians and the RMDSZ” at all cost.
Or you need something non-political? HERE is a Hungarian vs Romanian language challenge.