The old Palace situated in the Buda Castle will go through some major reconstruction works to reinstate its original glory.
Recently, many parts of the Castle received some sort of retouch to be renewed as part of the Nemzeti Hauszmann Program (National Hauszmann Program).
The Palace of former commander-in-chief of the Royal Hungarian Army Archduke Charles Joseph
will go through a complete reformational procedure to reinstate its original glory.
The National Hauszmann Program on their Facebook page announced that the reconstruction of the Palace already started.
Archduke Charles Joseph was a particularly popular figure in Hungary in his time. Being an excellent military leader and taking an active part in numerous social issues contributed to establishing his positive reputation. Moreover, he believed that Hungarian sports, culture, and sciences all deserved recognition and development.
He had several properties and factories in his possession. He even owned the Margaret-island for a while.
He played an important role both in public life and the scientific world; for instance, he was the one to create the first Hungarian-Gypsy dictionary.
The Archduke reconstructed the Teleki Castle on St. George square in 1902.
The two architects renewing this Castle worked together on several other projects. Their names are linked to such iconic buildings of Budapest as the Matild-Palace or the Franz Liszt Academy of Music.
During the Second World War, in 1945, when the Buda Castle was under attack, the Palace suffered some severe injuries,
however, not fatal. It could have been saved.
Unfortunately, instead of going along with the reconstruction works, the city decided to open a workers’ hostel. Later, it was abandoned and finally torn down in 1968. Since then, the property has not been dealt with but was closed to visitors.
Luckily, now the Palace will be rebuilt to its original state, together with the barn and the fairytale-like palace garden of a neo-renaissance style.
The façade of the building will copy the original plans of the architect duo.
On the inside, however, modern solutions will be used for the interior design, engineering, and operation of the premises.
The garden will be directly linked to the medieval Jewish bath called Mikveh,
situated right under it. Both stairs and an elevator will help visitors to approach it. The Western gardens will be reborn in the upcoming years, to where the rebuilt Ybl-stairs will lead.
As part of the reconstruction works, an enormous underground parking lot for 300 cars will also be built on Palota út. It will serve visitors and resolve the parking issues of the whole area and help decrease the traffic of the Buda Castle.
Until the works are finished, a part of St. George Street will be closed from pedestrians. Any other restrictions in traffic are either marked on the spot, on the Facebook page of the Palace or in a magazine called Budavári Séták Magazin.