A “personal documentary” directed by Réka Pigniczky is being made in Hungarian-Canadian co-production about former Prime Minister Viktor Orbán’s political “transformation and downfall”, with the premiere scheduled for the first half of 2027, the Hungarian film portal Filmhu has reported.

The documentary project titled Orbán and Me was presented on Sunday at the Cinelink Industry Days professional forum at the Sarajevo Film Festival, the website said. Pigniczky’s project was selected, alongside six other films in production, for the professional forum dubbed “Docu Talents From the East”, organised by the Jihlava International Documentary Film Festival in Czechia. On Monday, the jury will award a prize to the most promising project, MTI wrote.

According to the Jihlava Festival’s website, Orbán and Me is “an intimate political documentary” in which Pigniczky — who had previously interviewed Orban — attempted to speak again with the then Prime Minister during the 2026 Hungarian parliamentary elections.

The filmmaker “seeks to understand his transformation from democratic reformer to increasingly inaccessible leader”. Through the attempt to interview Orbán, and the debates within the director’s own family, “the film explores democracy’s fragility, political polarisation, and whether democratic renewal remains possible in Hungary today,” the Jihlava Festival website said.

If you missed: Why is Orbán slowly visiting all our southern neighbours? He has just been photographed in the company of a former adversary