MTI Fotó: Balogh Zoltán

Budapest, July 6 (MTI) – Hundreds of people protested against a construction project planned at Budapest’s City Park (Városliget) on Wednesday evening, after police removed activists from the site to begin works earlier in the day.

The demonstration organised on social media sites was addressed by András Lukács, head of the environmental Levegő Munkacsoport (Air Working Group), who noted that according to a survey commissioned recently by Greenpeace 86 percent of Budapesters oppose the Liget Project in its current form. A survey taken in January had shown 75 percent opposing the project, which involves the creation of a museum quarter, he said.

The government’s asset manager in charge of the project, Városliget Zrt, had since then spent 300 million forints on a communication campaign to promote the Liget Project, but “achieved the opposite result”.

Klára Garay, a spokesperson for the Ligetvedők group (Park Protectors) said activists will stay on site “until the rule of law returns”.

MTI Photo: Zoltán Balogh
MTI Photo: Zoltán Balogh

Protesters said police had detained three people in the area behind the fences. The three people have been let go. The protesters are staying on site to voice disagreement with the police action.

Photo: MTI

Source: MTI

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.