Budapest, March 23 (MTI) – No decision has been made on whether to introduce a congestion charge in Budapest, the city’s mayor said at a session of the municipal assembly on Monday.

Reacting to comments made by a radical nationalist Jobbik representative suggesting that the governing side had worked out the details of a plan to charge motorists, Istvan Tarlos said no decision had been made concerning either the extent of the zone or the fee.

Tarlos said efforts were being made in Brussels to “fend off” any requirement to introduce a congestion charge.

He said Jobbik representative Marcell Tokody had deliberately distorted the issue with a view to alarming people.

Tokody told journalists earlier on Monday that the matter of whether to introduce a congestion charge in Budapest lay in the hands of Fidesz alone and did not depend on the European Union. He added that it was “interesting” that Tarlos, in a written reply to a question, had not denied reports that the zoning and fee had already been planned.

Photo: egymenedzsertunodesei.blog.hu

Source: http://mtva.hu/hu/hungary-matters

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.