The trial of Gergely P. László was closed yesterday, and the judgment is life-sentence in prison. The criminal’s status has been changed from ‘arranging a terrorist act’ to ‘committed a terrorist act’ and can be discharged from prison – if it is acceptable – after at least 30 years.
On the night of September 24, 2016, in Budapest, Gergely P. László dangerously injured two police officers with a self-made bomb on Teréz Boulevard – reports Index. The policewoman and her colleague suffered serious hearing impairment. One nail even got into her cerebellum (“little brain”) and even broke her skull and shin.
Although the consequences of the bomb could be more fatal because the explosion was so strong that 5–10 cms length nails covered the sidewalk of the boulevard.
Shortly after the incident, the man who committed the crime sent an e-mail to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs where he wrote down how he made the bomb. He also wrote another one which was not sent but found on his computer where he wrote that he would commit another detonation unless he is paid 1 million Euros.
Find more information and photos in this article:
According to the judge, it turned out that Gergely P. László was the man who committed the crime and the evidence are the following:
“I put nails in the bomb to make the detonation more effective.” – said Gergely P. László
This statement made the case more grievous because the judge emphasised that P. László intended to kill somebody with the bomb – to commit murder. His father remained silent while listening to the judge, but after a while, he could not resist.
“He was drugged and said things which are impossible. My son is standing in front of the Hungarian state and police and the authorities make decisions just like in the era of Mátyás Rákosi” – (communist leader of Hungary [1948–1956]) – “Orbán sentenced my son.” – he said.
The lawyer of the man emphasised that the press could have been manipulated by the statement of the prime minister who used the term ‘to haunt down’ for catching Gergely P. László.
The twist of the case is that Gergely P. László did not attend his last trial.
In September 2018, the court handed a life sentence in the bombing case.
Although last week the man’s lawyer wanted more evidence, confessions and the opinion of a psychiatrist, the court rejected that. He also emphasised that much evidence was not taken into consideration and moreover, he questioned the videotapes about the night of the bombing.
The prosecutor asked the judge at the trial to name the case as a terrorist attack against Hungary.
Featured image: police.hu