A 7-year-old boy died in Hungary. The boy was allergic to hazelnut, yet he ate hazelnut cake in school, which caused the tragedy. His symptoms began in the school, and later, he could no longer breathe at a gas station.
Tibor Déri, the mayor of Újpest, confirmed the press release, according to which
a 7-year-old boy died in Hungary due to a hazelnut allergy.
“A 7-year-old boy died late yesterday afternoon after eating a birthday cake at school. Ambulance workers fought for his life for an hour and a half, unfortunately, to no avail. Presumably, a severe reaction to a food allergy caused his death. As a father, the news broke me. I share the grief of the family and express my sincere condolences,” the mayor wrote on Facebook.
The Budapest Police Headquarters is investigating the case on the suspicion of negligence. However, they added that as the investigation is still ongoing, they cannot give further details.
A birthday party was held at the boy’s school. As part of the celebration, everyone was given a slice of hazelnut cake. 24.hu writes that the boy was already ill in school and vomited. The school called the boy’s parents immediately. The mother carried her son out to the car in her arms. After 800 metres,
they had to stop at a gas station because the boy was no longer breathing.
Ambulances arrived at the gas station and immediately began resuscitating the boy. They fought for the boy’s life for two hours. Unfortunately, they could not save him.
Several questions have been raised about the tragedy.
Doctor György Póta, a paediatrician, talked to blikk.hu about the case. “In very rare cases, it is possible that this was the boy’s first seizure triggered by hazelnut, so the parents may not have known about it. Hazelnut allergy is one of the most serious allergies, if you do not get help in time, the patient gets laryngeal oedema and then drowns.”
The Hungarian Child Rescue Foundation is also sending a message to anxious parents about the incident. Many believe that calcium could have saved the boy’s life. However, calcium does not help in these cases. In this case, using a pre-filled EpiPen containing epinephrine may help.
According to the latest information, the parents knew about their child’s food allergy, writes index.hu. However, it is not known whether the school was notified of this. The school principal will not make a statement until the investigation is completed. The law does not prohibit taking home-cooked food to school, but in this case, the institution is responsible for the safety of the children.
Source: blikk.hu, 24.hu, index.hu