Hungarian–Ukrainian expert-level consultations aimed at resolving the rights of the Hungarian minority in Transcarpathia will begin with the involvement of representatives of the Hungarian community in Transcarpathia, Foreign Minister Anita Orbán said on Monday.

She said on Facebook that this had been agreed upon during a telephone conversation over the weekend with Ukrainian Foreign Minister Andrii Sybiha.

Both sides have appointed their negotiating delegations, which will hold their first consultations online,” she said. As a result, discussions can begin as early as tomorrow, laying an important foundation for the prompt and reassuring settlement of minority rights issues, she added.

Have you read this? PM Magyar surprised to hear predecessor Orbán’s fears of vanishing media freedom

Anita Orbán at the committee hearing
Hungary’s new foreign minister. Photo: MTI/Tamás Purger

I trust that the dialogue will be constructive and productive, and that the negotiations will soon bring tangible progress for the Hungarian community in Transcarpathia. I wish the delegations every success and productive work in achieving this goal,the Hungarian foreign minister said.

If you missed it: Former Orbán minister accuses PM Magyar of unconstitutional attempt to influence Hungary’s courts