BREAKING NEWS – Hungarian national injured in Barcelona attack
A Hungarian citizen was slightly injured in Thursday’s terror attack in Barcelona, a foreign ministry official said.
The woman suffered a broken arm in the attack but has already left the hospital, state secretary Levente Magyar told a press conference on Friday.
She has been contacted by the Hungarian consulate general in Barcelona but did not require consular assistance, Magyar said.
The state secretary confirmed that no Hungarian citizens had been killed in the attack that has been claimed by the Islamic State militant group. There are currently around 3,000 Hungarian citizens in Catalonia, he said.
Magyar reiterated Hungary’s strong condemnation of the attack. This time, terrorism struck a country “that has been living relatively peacefully”, which means that terrorism “can strike anywhere and at any time”, he added.
Hungary, however, has so far been protected “from this nightmarish madness” that has afflicted western Europe, Magyar said, adding that the government was determined to keep it this way.
He said the link between illegal migration and the threat of terrorism in Europe was clear. Magyar said that the Hungarian government was “one of the few” willing to take action over this issue.
“We would like to see action,” Magyar said, adding that Hungary was prepared to continue pursuing its policy that he said could help prevent such attacks in the future.
On the topic of the second attack in the Catalan resort town of Cambrils, which injured seven people, Magyar said the foreign ministry had not yet received any official information about any Hungarians having been wounded. Since the ministry has not received any enquiries about the attack either, “there is strong hope” that no Hungarians were hurt, the state secretary added.
As we wrote today, Hungary’s president, prime minister and parliamentary speaker have expressed their condolences to their Spanish counterparts over the terror attack in Barcelona.
Photo: MTI/AP/Giannis Papanikos