Around 60 migrants early on Tuesday made an attempt to break through the southern border fence at Röszke, on the Serbia-Hungary border, according to public television.
Current affairs channel M1 reported that a small number of migrants managed to cross the border.
Police stopped all vehicles at checkpoints when it became apparent that migrants had spread out in all directions, M1’s correspondent said.
The police said on their website that an armed guard on duty fired several warning shots before patrols arrived at the scene.
It added that
the illegal attempt to cross the border took place at around 5.30am.
Several members of the group who entered Hungary were arrested while police prevented others from getting through, the statement said.
- Suspected IS terrorist’s case continues in Budapest
- Number of illegal migrants entering Hungary doubled in 2019
Csongrád County Police Headquarters told MTI that
60 people stormed the border en-masse and a border guard fired three warning shots.
Four arrests were made and the area was closed down, the spokesperson said. Whereas the road border crossing was not operating, traffic on the motorway border crossing was unaffected.
Károly Papp, the interior ministry’s director general for public security, told the same press conference that groups of migrants had made illegal entry attempts at the Roszke 2 crossing in two waves, at 5.20am and next at 5.30am.
Police arrested four migrants, he said, adding that legal proceedings have been launched against them.
György Bakondi, the prime minister’s chief domestic security adviser, said the Serbia-Hungary border had come under serious pressure recently, with 3,400 illegal entry attempts made so far this month.