Budapest, February 10 (MTI) – Construction of a new 4,000-capacity conference centre in Budapest is scheduled to begin in 2017 and be ready by the end of the following year, the deputy state secretary in charge of tourism said on Wednesday.
The investment incorporated into a concept for developing conference tourism will go before the government this spring, Adam Ruszinko told a professional conference. The finalised concept will be ready by the end of this year, he added.
The government decision to build a new conference centre was made in 2014 and the plot was bought by the national asset manager MNV last year. According to press reports at the time, the location will be on the Pest side of Rakoczi Bridge, near the Palace of Arts.
The latest figures published by the Central Statistical Office (KSH) show that 2015 was a record-breaking year in tourism, with every important indicator growing despite international headwinds.