Select Page

Demonstrators protest for democracy in Budapest – UPDATE – PHOTOS, VIDEO

Demonstrators protest for democracy in Budapest – UPDATE – PHOTOS, VIDEO

Demonstrators dissatisfied with the state of the rule of law and press freedom in Hungary protested for democracy in the capital on Saturday afternoon.

Organised as a follow-up to last week’s demonstration, the event “2.0 We are the majority! – Another protest for democracy” started in Kossuth Square in front of Parliament. Protestors made their way to Budapest’s Szabadsajtó (Freedom of the Press) Road to hear speeches. Last week demonstration: Photos and Videos HERE!

“[Ruling] Fidesz has watered down the rule of law and stifled the press and this is why they have a two-thirds majority,” organisers of the protest have said.

They said the opposition parties “will also be put to work”, insisting that “they, too, are to blame for getting us to this point”.

Fina Aristic

“We have to fight together with them for a new, fair and just electoral law and the investigation of corruption cases.” “We … want to replace a regime,” they said. “The regime of [Prime Minister Viktor] Orbán that is corrupt to the core and endlessly nefarious…”

A number of opposition parties were represented at the demonstration.

Demonstrators protest for democracy in Budapest

Demonstrators protest for democracy in Budapest, photo: MTI

The protestors waved the national colours, European Union flags, the stripes of the House of Arpad and banners they made themselves.

When the protestors at the front of the demonstration reached Arany János Street proceeding along Bajcsy-Zsilinszky Road, the last ones were starting out from Kossuth Square — a distance of around 1.1km.

Demonstrators protest for democracy in Budapest, photo: Balázs Béli

Demonstrators protest for democracy in Budapest, photo: Balázs Béli

Demonstrators protest for democracy in Budapest, photo: Balázs Béli

Demonstrators protest for democracy in Budapest, photo: Balázs Béli

Demonstrators protest for democracy in Budapest, photo: Balázs Béli

Demonstrators protest for democracy in Budapest, photo: Balázs Béli

Demonstrators protest for democracy in Budapest, photo: Balázs Béli

Demonstrators protest for democracy in Budapest, photo: Balázs Béli

Demonstrators protest for democracy in Budapest

Demonstrators protest for democracy in Budapest

Demonstrators protest for democracy in Budapest

Demonstrators protest for democracy in Budapest, photo: MTI

Speakers called for the opposition to join together, for civil organisation, and immediate action to unseat the government.

At Szabadsajtó Road, the speakers said

the government was only able to stay in power through a campaign of fear, and they called for an end to “the campaign of hate and lies” and for the establishment of a “fair” public media.

They also called for solidarity and a the restoration of a united Hungary.

According to the organisers, the mass of demonstrators spanned from the Pest side of Elizabeth Bridge all the way to Astoria.

Márki-Zay Péter

Péter Márki-Zay, photo: MTI

On Friday Jobbik’s vice president János Volner announced that his party initiated a national referendum to restore the freedom of the press in Hungary. Read more HERE.

VIDEO

Photo: MTI

Source: MTI

1 Comment

  1. John

    Congratulations Victor on your Democratic win.. Keep up the fight on illegal immigration, Every news i read is anti Orban and you say theres no freedom of press . When you vote your identity card is used and the ballot is stamped… Using a pen not a pencil. How is it not fair…. Every single Hungarian knew of the election and 49% voted. Are you trying to tell me that the other 51% were too stupid to know that were other candidates. Why dont you see newspapers asking the people of Germany about the the wonderful illegal trash that arrived on their door. Or are you going to give them a little piece of Hungary to call their own. Go live in the the west and see how everything that you hate is shoved down your throats.. Living expenses up %110 while basic wages raised by 2%. Everything there is run by the banks and corperations… KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK VICTOR ORBAN…

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

  1. Eastern Europe Top 10 April 27 – The Vostokian - […] Orban’s chief of staff, indicated his interest in returning to local politics. This comes while anti-FIDESZ protests continue throughout…

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published.

Newsletter

Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter.

Recommended

Pin It on Pinterest