With the festival season knocking at our door, lovers of water and concerts might wonder what to do during the summer. Index.hu has compiled a list of things you can do at Lake Balaton.
The MOL Nagyon Balaton festival starts soon, the aim of which is to promote Lake Balaton, to strengthen its popularity and prestige both in Hungary and abroad. Since its launch in 2013, various festivals can be associated with it, such as VeszprémFest, Valley of Arts (Művészetek Völgye), Balaton Sound, Jazz picnic at Paloznak, but new festivals were born as well: STRAND Festival and B.my.Lake. Another key programme of Nagyon Balaton are the ferryboat concerts.
According to Norbert Lobenwein, founder and organiser of MOL Nagyon Balaton, the festival brought over 1 million people to Balaton, and they are expecting even more guests this year. Zoltán Guller, Managing Director of the Hungarian National Tourism Agency, said that bringing together the different programmes and creating a new festival organisation has proved to be a great idea already in the first year, and since, the number of attendees is ever growing. For instance, in September 2016, the number of days spent by the attendants at the festival has grown by 19 percent, compared to the number in the first September.
Here you can find the list of MOL Nagyon Balaton programmes:
– Plázs Siófok opens in June
– Budapest Nyár opens the Balatoni Nyár programme series on June 17
– The National Regatta takes place on June 10 and 11
– Kultkikötő’s programmes are available from June 23 until the end of August
– there will be a Book-Wine-Jazz festival
– The fifth Anna festival in July
– the tenth Balaton Sound starts on July 5
– the Badacsony Bor7 (Badacsony wine week) kicks off on July 14, where all wineries from the region will be represented
– if you are less interested in concerts and parties, then the Valley of Arts is for you, as well as the VeszprémFest and the Street Music Festival of Veszprém
– the ferryboat concerts start on July 28 from the Tihany-Szántód port: two ferries are taking off, which will connect in the middle of Lake Balaton
– Wine weeks in Balatonfüred in August
– there will be an ART Placc near the Tihany port on every Saturday
– the Jazz Picnic at Paloznak returns in August
– Zamárdi will be the home of the last two big festivals of the season: the usual Strand and B.my.Lake
featured photo: www.facebook.com/csudaisandor