Hungary’s election-winning Tisza Party has announced it will return more than HUF 100 million (approximately EUR 274,000) in donations received from businessman György Wáberer, citing the need to maintain transparency and political independence.
Businessman György Wáberer openly talked about his donations to Tisza Party
Péter Magyar, the party’s leader and incoming prime minister, said the sum—transferred in five instalments of HUF 20 million (around EUR 25,000)—arrived just five days before the elections. According to Magyar, this contradicts Wáberer’s earlier claim in a television interview that he had been financially supporting the party for around a year and a half, because they could not find any financial support from him prior to the aforementioned 100 million, reports Telex.
They will send the 100 million back
In a statement published on social media, Magyar emphasised that the party is proud of its lawful and transparent financing practices. At the same time, he underlined that they wish to avoid even the appearance that any entrepreneur or oligarch could be linked to the party or benefit from such an association, directly or indirectly.
“For this reason, we will return the amount on Monday,” he said, adding that similar action would be taken in future if any donation were connected to requests deemed legally or morally questionable, or if a donor attempted to gain influence, leverage, or publicity.
Breaking: Incoming PM Magyar announced last 2 ministers, government lineup finalised
Tisza Party leader claims they will maintain transparency
Magyar also pledged full financial transparency, confirming that the party will disclose the names of all contributors who donate more than HUF 500,000 within the legally required timeframe.
Wáberer, one of Hungary’s wealthiest businessmen, had publicly backed the Tisza Party in the final days of the campaign, arguing that the country needs change and calling for what he described as “a more liveable Hungary” and a clearer economic direction.
Why Viktor Orbán is becoming the past: a poll reveals the main reasons behind Fidesz’s defeat
Featured image: Anadolu Agency
Arguably Mr. Wáberers endorsement was of some value – however, it appears old habits die hard …
This does rather suggest that his undoubtedly generous and sizeable donations were neither needed nor used in the finishing straight of the campaign which was funded in the main by micro donations from enthused citizens over the last 18 months. I don’t doubt there were multiple sizeable donations too during this time, after all, the campaign had to funded by something other than fresh air, but as long as they were given by Hungarian citizens there is no problem. Zero state funds were used for this thumping victory versus vast quantities of taxpayer money misappropriated by the Fidesz party. I hope the incoming government calculates exactly how much taxpayer’s funds were illegally used for the Fidesz campaign and sends them the bill. If they cannot repay this, then the courts can can rule in favour of their liquidation. Mr Meszaros is at liberty to step in and settle the debt if he so chooses.