Hungary has so far helped 10 families, altogether 78 people, out of Taliban-occupied territories in Afghanistan, Romulusz Ruszin-Szendi, the head of the Hungarian military, said at a government presser on Saturday.
He said that the group were now at a safe “operative basis” set up for the purpose near Kabul. Gergely Gulyás, the head of the Prime Minister’s Office, said that the government was committed to bringing back all Hungarians in Afghanistan.
He lambasted NATO’s mission in Afghanistan,
saying that despite huge funds spent on training the Afghan army, local forces “were unable to hold the front against the Taliban even for a single day”. He said that Hungary had joined the Afghanistan mission at the United States’ request 20 years ago, and now pulled out of the country in line with the US government’s decision.
Answering a question, Gulyás said that a great wave of migration should be expected in the wake of the Afghan crisis, but “members of the European Union… are on consensus that the 2015 migration wave must not be allowed to recur, and that this requires cooperation from countries close to Afghanistan”. He said that
“the idea of (mandatory) quotas has again be raised but Hungary made it clear that it would not receive anyone under any EU quota”.
Concerning the rescue operation, Gulyás said that it was aimed at helping Hungarians out of Afghanistan primarily, but “if there are seats left on a Hungarian plane (citizens of) allied countries will also be carried”. He also added that those to be rescued “include translators and helpers of the Hungarian mission but it is a small group rather than thousands”.