Serbian tennis player Novak Djokovic got the majority of the votes of the European news agencies – including MTI (Hungarian news agency) – on the list of the best European athletes of 2015 ,where Katinka Hosszu ended up being 9th, origo.hu wrote.
The vote was conducted by the Polish PAP, and it was won by Djokovic who triumphed in the Australian, English and US Open championships, overtaking last year’s winner Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes’ British Formula One World Champion by 60 points.
There is one Hungarian among the top 10. She is Katinka Hosszu again. The 26-year-old swimmer won two gold and one bronze medals in this year’s World Aquatics Championships.
22 news agencies participated in the voting.
Europe’s best sportspeople in 2015, according to this list:
- Novak Djokovic (Serbia), tennis 199 points
- Lewis Hamilton (Britain) Formula 139
- Dafne Schippers (Netherlands) athletics 79
- Pau Gasol (Spain) basketball 72
- Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal) football 59
- Mohamed Farah (Britain) athletics 52
- Anna Fenninger (Austria) Alpine skiing 46
- Marcel Hirscher (Austria) Alpine skiing 43
- Katinka Hosszu (Hungary) swimming 41
- Marit Bjorge (Norway), cross-country skiing 34
Copy editor: bm