• Hungarian forint
  • Budapest
  • Police news
  • HelloMagyar
Kúria rules government’s campaign letter to voters abroad unlawfulKúria rules government’s campaign letter to voters abroad unlawfulKúria rules government’s campaign letter to voters abroad unlawfulKúria rules government’s campaign letter to voters abroad unlawful
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Society
  • Sport
  • Culture
  • Special Hungary
  • News To Go
  • World
  • Contact Us
  • About us
  • About us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
✕
Important
  • Breaking: Slovenia prolongs border controls at Hungarian and Croatian border

  • Decision on fuel prices in Hungary: price drop ends from Friday

  • A freight train collided with a passenger train in Hungary, driver in life-threatening condition

Support us
Alexandra Béni Alexandra Béni · 30/09/2016
· Politics

Kúria rules government’s campaign letter to voters abroad unlawful

Budapest (MTI) – Campaign letters for the Oct. 2 referendum on European Union migrant quotas sent on behalf of the government to ethnic Hungarians abroad were unlawful, the Kúria, Hungary’s supreme court, ruled on Thursday and called on the government to desist.

The Kúria said the letters violated the principles of equal opportunity and citizens’ entitlement to exercise their rights in a bona fide way. The ruling overturned a decision the National Election Committee made last Friday.

A private individual submitted a complaint to the election office objecting to the fact that the government had sent campaign letters to voters without a permanent address in Hungary. According to the complaint, the government was not authorised to contact people without a permanent address in Hungary because the government, as the initiator of the referendum, and parties with a parliamentary group are authorised to receive only addresses registered in election districts.

The Kúria ruled that the government is only authorised to use a database that is also available to other participants in the campaign and must not use one that it acquired in its capacity as the practitioner of public authority.

In reaction to the supreme court ruling, the government communications centre said in a statement that the cabinet had “observed all relevant laws” but added that the government would “respect the decision”.

They insisted that the “letters of information” had been sent to ethnic Hungarians, aiming to call their attention to the referendum “against forced resettlement” of migrants and to “risks around Brussels’ quota package”.

The statement added that “the chance to send letters was open to the opposition parties, too.” They chose not to use that opportunity, “therefore the principle of equal opportunities was not violated,” the statement said.

The opposition Democratic Coalition (DK) interpreted the ruling as proof that ruling Fidesz had “tried to garner votes through fraud” and called on the party and the government to drop those practices.

“Hungary’s laws mean nothing to the government if it comes to lending legitimacy to its corrupt power”, DK said in a statement.

Photo: MTI

Source: MTI

If you would like to support the work of the Daily News Hungary staff and independent journalism,
please make a donation here
court ethnic referendum on migrant quotas
Share

Hot news

  • Breaking: Slovenia prolongs border controls at Hungarian and Croatian border

  • Hungarian employers, employees reach agreement on minimum wage hike

  • Decision on fuel prices in Hungary: price drop ends from Friday

  • Chinese company to bring giga investment to Hungary

  • Brussels had enough: EC calls on Hungary to stop relying on Putin

  • Hungarian economy back on growth track, finance minister says

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

SUPPORT US
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram

Must read

Subscribe to our newsletter

Sign up to receive daily updates, news & stories about Hungary!

Select your location below or enter your country so we can deliver our morning newsletters to you in time.

Thank you!

You have successfully joined our subscriber list.

.

Contact us

About us

Copyright rules

Privacy policy

Advertise with us

© 2023 DailyNewsHungary. All rights reserved! | Server and development by Svigelj Levente E.V
<strong> Breaking: Slovenia prolongs border controls at Hungarian and Croatian border </strong>

Breaking: Slovenia prolongs border controls at Hungarian and Croatian border

Read More
Hungarian employers, employees reach agreement on minimum wage hike

Hungarian employers, employees reach agreement on minimum wage hike

Read More
Decision on fuel prices in Hungary: price drop ends from Friday

Decision on fuel prices in Hungary: price drop ends from Friday

Read More
Chinese company to bring giga investment to Hungary

Chinese company to bring giga investment to Hungary

Read More
Brussels had enough: EC calls on Hungary to stop relying on Putin

Brussels had enough: EC calls on Hungary to stop relying on Putin

Read More
Hungarian economy back on growth track, finance minister says

Hungarian economy back on growth track, finance minister says

Read More
Permanent price reductions at Lidl Hungary in two crucial categories

Permanent price reductions at Lidl Hungary in two crucial categories

Read More
Hungarian citizens who wanted to leave Gaza left, one stays

Hungarian citizens who wanted to leave Gaza left, one stays

Read More
Pop-up skating rink to be built in Budapest

Pop-up skating rink to be built in Budapest

Read More
FM Szijjártó: Africa crucial for Europe

FM Szijjártó: Africa crucial for Europe

Read More
  • 0
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
Have you read it?