Budapest, January 25 (MTI) – The prosecutor’s office said on Wednesday that it had launched investigations into every report it had received from the European Union’s anti-fraud office (OLAF).
The prosecutor’s statement came after Democratic Coalition MEP Csaba Molnár said earlier in the day that Hungary was the only EU country that had never investigated any reports from OLAF. Molnar called it “suspicious” that the Hungarian government had ordered an investigation into irregularities recently uncovered by OLAF in connection with Budapest’s fourth metro construction project.
The prosecutor denied Molnár’s claims, describing them as “falsehood”. The office said it had forwarded OLAF’s findings to authorities that had already been investigating various aspects of the metro construction project. OLAF also took into account the findings of those investigations for its own report, the office added.
The office said it had received a total of 28 reports indicating suspected criminal activities from OLAF between 2012 and 2016, all of which had been or were being investigated.