(MTI) – The opposition Socialists demand immediate information from the government about the “real” situation concerning the transfer of EU funds, the party said on Monday.
Deputy group leader Bertalan Toth and MEP candidate Janos Veres said in a statement that the government had been supplying unclear information about the “freezing of EU funds” and it is impossible to know if transfers have been restarted. According to Brussels, Hungary is not allowed to submit new invoices, yet the government has talked about successful negotiations, the statement added.
Toth and Veres said the reason for the freezing of EU funds has been that state secretary heading the Prime Minister’s Office “Janos Lazar and (Prime Minister) Viktor Orban had made the payment of EU funds non-transparent” and this has upset the EU.
The Prime Minister’s office said in a statement last Friday that after Wednesday’s talks, Hungary can expect that its invoices pertaining to the period after April 15 will be received by the EU, although it was told to hold off on them earlier.
The new system for the absorption of EU funds “seems to be acceptable on paper,” regional policy spokesperson for the European Commission told MTI on Friday. Hungary can now send post-April 15 invoices, too, but their processing would need advance certification from the Directorate General for Audit of European Funds (EUTAF), Shirin Wheeler said, adding that the Commission’s auditors may also carry out spot checks on the new system.