Budapest, October 20 (MTI) – If the US immigration authorities refuse to reveal information that serves as the basis for a blacklist of Hungarian officials then it would be difficult to avoid concluding that this was a “provocation”, the ruling Fidesz party’s group leader Antal Rogan said late on Sunday.
Rogan told commercial channel ATV that he was therefore asking the US authorities to present any proof of corruption in the case of the unnamed individuals cited by them.
Rogan said Prime Minister Viktor Orban had not given a reaction so far, “probably because he, too, can’t decide whether this is a joke or not”. He added that the government had not been informed about the issue prior to the press reports about it.
Andre Goodfriend, charge d’affaires at the US embassy in Budapest, told ATV also on Sunday that banning entry to the US is a matter between the US government and the affected individual, so these cases are not usually revealed to the public. In this case, however, the US embassy informed the Hungarian foreign ministry on Oct. 6 that certain government officials were banned from entering the US because they are affected by the presidential resolution on corruption.
The US did not ask the government to act on the issue but he said the affected persons would be personally contacted. Goodfriend said the names had not been revealed in the communication with the ministry.
He added that he was summoned to the ministry a week later to provide detailed information, and he then briefed Foreign Minister Peter Szijjarto, giving the same information.