The title of “The Most Beautiful Christmas Market In Europe” 2020, voted by thousands of travellers from around the world, has been awarded this year to The Advent Feast at the Basilica in Budapest, a city that was also awarded the title of Best European Destination.
According to forbes.com, the prize was voted by 289,714 travellers of 116 countries. The European Best Destinations organised the voting (EBD) and the Christmas market at St Stephen’s Basilica in Budapest received a record number of votes. Meanwhile, in 2018, 38,830 people supported the Christmas market of Zagreb,
Budapest received 39,488 this year.
The EBD promotes culture and tourism in Europe in partnership with the EDEN Network created by the European Commission.
According to the survey, with Budapest at the top, the following places are the 20 Best Christmas Markets in Europe for 2020: 2. Vienna (Austria) 3. Gdansk (Poland) 4. Brussels (Belgium) 5. Montbeliard (France) 6. Basel (Switzerland) 7. Metz (France) 8. Cluj Napoca (Romania) 9. Valkenburg (Netherlands) 10. Novi Sad (Serbia) 11. Trier (Germany) 12. Prague (Czech Republic) 13. Govone (Italy) 14. Winchester (U.K.) 15. Amiens (France) 16. Rothenburg (Germany) 17. Cologne (Germany) 18. Leipzig (Germany) 19. Bratislava (Slovakia) 20. Bath (U.K.).
Forbes.com writes that St. Stephen’s Square is located in the heart of Budapest and travellers long regard it as the most beautiful Christmas market in Hungary. Thus, it is not surprising that it attracts many visitors from all over the world who seek a place of pure magic in a warm and cosy atmosphere. The Christmas market there is
traditional and modern, authentic and magical at the same time.
Furthermore, it is a real family meeting place prepared in the smallest detail for everyone to have a wonderful time.
EBD also announced the 24 “must-see” Christmas Markets that were competing for the prestigious title of Best Christmas Market in Europe: Amiens, Bath, Basel, Bratislava, Brussels, Budapest, Cluj-Napoca, Cologne, Erfurt, Gdansk, Govone, Leipzig, Metz, Montbeliard, Nottingham, Novi Sad, Prague, Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Tallinn, Trier, Valkenburg, Vienna, Vilnius and Winchester.
Nine new and beautiful — if less-known — Christmas markets were selected this year: Valkenburg in the Netherlands, Bath in England, Govone in Italy, Trier in Germany, Novi Sad in Serbia, Nottingham in the U.K., Bratislava in Slovakia, Winchester in the U.K. and Vilnius in Lithuania.
Further results of their survey show that
• Gdansk, Valkenburg, Novi Sad, Govone and Winchester are the most popular new Christmas markets among travellers.
• Slovenians, Croatians and Italians voted the Govone (Italy) Christmas market as their favourite in Europe.
• Metz, Amiens and Montbéliard (ranked as one of the Christmas markets with the most beautiful Christmas lights in Europe) are the best Christmas markets in France.
• Basel is the favourite Christmas market for Swiss, Germans and Norwegians.
• With its incredible Christmas tree, Vilnius is ranked first of the most beautiful Christmas trees in Europe, followed by Prague, Strasbourg and Cologne.
• Vienna is the best Christmas market in Europe for travellers from 37 countries. The city is also ranked among the safest destinations in Europe.