From the white wines in Tokaj to the red wines in Villány, Hungarian wines received vast recognition at this year’s Decanter World Wine Awards. Juliet Victor’s Édes Szamorodni was even selected Best in Show.
Decanter World Wine Awards is the world’s largest and most influential wine competition. In 2020, for the 17th time in the Award’s history, a total of 16,518 wines from 56 countries were in competition, which were all rigorously examined by a jury of 116 wine experts.
And Hungary performed exceptionally well this year. As Igényes Férfi writes, Hungarian wine producers took home 1 Best in Show, 5 platinum, 12 gold, and 40 silver medals. This is a great improvement compared to last year’s results when 3 Hungarian wines received a platinum and 7 a gold medal.
Hungary’s ‘Best in Show’ wine this year is Juliet Victor’s Édes Szamorodni from 2017, with a very impressive score of 97 out of 100. As the jury wrote about this sweet white wine,
“This bright gold Tokaji smells fresh and lively yet alluring and sensual too, with the fragrance of Harslevelu and the sweetly grapy appeal of Muscat Lunel joining the less focussed warmth and force of Furmint. On the palate, this is a decidedly rich wine with ample sweet unction. […]”
Similarly to Juliet Victor’s wine, winners of the platinum medal are all white and come from Tokaj – and all with a score of 97 points:
- Öreg Király Dűlő Aszú 6 Puttonyos of Barta
- Aszú 6 Puttonyos of Dobogó
- Aszú 6 Puttonyos of Harsányi
- Aszú 5 Puttonyos of Kern Bor és Pezsgőház
- Aszú 5 Puttonyos of Sauska
The winners of the gold medals are a little more diverse in that some red wines appear from the Villány wine region in southern Hungary.
- Aszú 6 Puttonyos of Carpinus
- Aszú 5 Puttonyos of Chateau Dereszla
- Aszú 6 Puttonyos of Dereszla
- 1413 Szamorodni of Disznókő
- White wine of Grand Tokaj
- Aszú 5 Puttonyos of Gróf Degenfeld
- Kútpatka Furmint of Harsányi
- Culture of Holdvölgy
- Bomboly Dry Furmint of Juliet Victor
- Creátor Kékfrankos of Maul Zsolt Prémium Winery (Villány)
- Dávid of Maul Zsolt Prémium Winery (Villány)
- Jégbor Olaszrizling of Varga (Badacsony)
To browse the different categories and read more information about the wines and the competition, visit the Decanter World Wine Award website.
Source: igenyesferfi.hu, awards.decanter.com