To this day, even the native people of Hungary can find surprising things in their homeland. These are mostly Hungary’s hidden little gems, such as a lesser-known wonder, the archipelago of the Kavicsbánya lakes in Szigetszentmiklós. Continue reading our article on this wonder of nature!
This group of islands are jokingly called the “Hungarian Maldives.” Only a mere thirty minutes away from the capital lays this intriguing landmark. The islands are quite interesting from an administrative point of view. The archipelago covers 166 hectares, of which 106 hectares are water. 87 percent of the islands belong to Szigetszentmiklós, the remaining 13 percent to Csepel, says an article by Promotions.
The region of Csepel doesn’t conjure up images of lush, wild natural landscapes. Most people think more of concrete and panel jungles when Csepel gets brought up. This was due to the need to provide accommodation for the workers in the industrial area. This also required a lot of gravel.
The gravel quarry on the outskirts of Szigetszentmiklós supplied the gravel for the prefab houses and residential buildings. However, over the years, the need for so much gravel was no longer. All the mines in the area are closed today. What remained was a beautiful little jewel box of islands and a gravel pond, says Csodálatos Magyarország.
Some would say that its wonder is taken away by the fact that it has been almost completely built over by fishing lodges and holiday homes. There are nearly 100 houses on the islands combined, which we can understand. Even if grocery shopping might not be the most convenient thing…
Dolphin Strait, Barren Island, the Great Sea, Zátonyos Lake, Perch Island, Little Head Island, Gravel Beach and Panorama Peninsula. These are just some of the nicknames people have given the group of islands and the surrounding area. We might not know why people started calling this archipelago the Hungarian Maldives. What is sure, however, this made it a popular tourist attraction!
The area has an extremely rich aquatic and bird life. Swimming in the lake is not recommended, as there are many protruding poles, branches and stakes. However, the water temperature can reach 27 degrees Celsius in summer. In some places, the lake reaches a depth of 4 metres. Even if we cannot dive into the water, it is perfect for a boat ride.
Source: promotion.hu, csoadaltosmagyarorszag.hu