Budapest, May 4 (MTI) – The 991 barrels containing the most hazardous waste disposed in a depot at Budapest’s Illatos Road are to be removed from the scene by May 31, a government official told journalists on Monday.
Richard Tarnai, the government commissioner for Pest county, said the barrels were being removed from the facility. He cited the disaster management authority as saying that the waste posed no immediate threat, so the operation was suspended for the past weekend.
Last week, Budapest Mayor Istvan Tarlos said the government had allocated more than 1 billion forints (EUR 3.3m) to manage the waste disposal.
The company which owned the site has been under liquidation since 2007. Its main products included sulphuric acid, pesticides, artificial fertilizers and chlorides among others.
please make a donation here