The Polish coach driver involved in the deadly bus crash on Hungary’s M3 motorway has expressed his condolences to the victims and their families through his lawyer, saying he is aware of the immense weight and consequences of the tragedy.
In a statement released on Thursday evening, lawyer Dániel Gerván told the Hungarian News Agency (MTI) that his client understands that no words can ease the loss suffered by the victims’ families. The driver has been deeply affected by the crash and is receiving professional help to process what happened, his lawyer said.
Investigation still at an early stage
Gerván stressed that the criminal proceedings are still at a very early stage. In view of the ongoing investigation, the defence is not currently releasing further details about the circumstances of the crash.
The lawyer added that the family would share further information with the public through their legal representative in the future. The driver has been detained and is being investigated on suspicion of causing a fatal mass accident through negligence. A court ordered his detention earlier this week.

Twelve people died in M3 motorway crash
The tragedy happened in the early hours of 16 August near Mezőkeresztes, when a Polish coach carrying pilgrims left the road and overturned onto its side. There were 59 people on board, including 57 passengers and two drivers. Twelve people were killed, while dozens of others suffered injuries.
According to prosecutors, three people sustained life-threatening injuries, while another 20 suffered serious injuries expected to take more than eight days to heal. Eight others were also injured. The injured passengers were taken to hospitals in Miskolc, Debrecen, Nyíregyháza and Eger. The first group of around 20 injured passengers returned to Poland on Monday evening.
Read more details: 12 killed in devastating bus crash on Hungary’s M3 motorway
Driver allegedly fell asleep at the wheel
According to the prosecutor’s office, the driver was not in a condition to operate the coach safely because of fatigue and allegedly fell asleep while driving. The bus subsequently left the carriageway via the emergency lane and overturned on a sloping section of land.
Initial police information indicated that the driver may have fallen asleep. According to Telex, investigators estimated from the scene that he may have been asleep for between two and four seconds, although a vehicle engineering expert, Sándor Boncsér, said that even less time could be enough for a 24-tonne coach to become uncontrollable if its driver falls asleep.
The investigation is continuing, and the exact circumstances that led to the crash have not yet been established with complete certainty.
Your story. Your perspective. Our readers. Write for Daily News Hungary!