Budapest, January 13 (MTI) – The Hungarian authorities plan in February to commence an investigation into the case of migrants who passed through Hungary concealed in a refrigerated lorry and were discovered dead in the vehicle on an Austrian motorway in August, the daily Magyar Idok said on Wednesday.
Documents provided by the Austrian authorities in November are being translated, and once this has been completed the investigation can start, the National Police Headquarters told the paper.
So far it is known from the documentation that the smuggling gang was composed of Iraqis and Afghans, the paper said.
For a time, the Austrian and Hungarian authorities pursued parallel investigations. Given that certain acts took place in Hungary and four suspects were detained in the country, the Austrian justice ministry officially proposed that Hungary should conduct criminal proceedings. Currently the Hungarian National Bureau of Investigation is investigating five people on suspicion of people smuggling.
In response to the article, the national police clarified that it has been investigating the case since the day the bodies were discovered. It noted that Hungarian police arrested four Bulgarians and an Afghan national in connection with the case within two days of the lorry’s discovery. Police are still investigating those individuals on suspicion of human smuggling.
The National Police Headquarters confirmed that it is still in the process of translating the 6,000 pages of investigation documents provided by the Austrian authorities. The police said they would keep the public updated on progress in investigation.