Canterbury (MTI) – The relics of Saint Thomas Becket (1118-1170) held in the northern Hungarian town of Esztergom were presented in Canterbury Cathedral on Saturday, the site where he was murdered eight hundred years ago.
A memorial ceremony was held for the former archbishop of Canterbury and his relics were placed on the main altar.
The relics arrived in the cathedral after a traditional 2.5 kilometre pilgrimage from St Michael’s Church on the edge of the town. Several hundred pilgrims made the journey, including Hungarian scouts.
The event was attended by Hungary’s ambassador Péter Szabadhegyi, foreign ministry state secretary István Mikola and Diocese of Szeged-Csanad Bishop Lászlo Kiss-Rigó.
Saturday’s ceremony marked the end of a series of events dedicated to Thomas Becket organised by the Hungarian embassy in London.