The Serbians took an early lead but Geresi levelled after 76 minutes to make sure Vidi go through to the Q3 stage next week.

UEFA Europa League, 2016-2017, Qualifying round, 2nd round

FK Čukarički – Videoton FC

FK Čukarički:
Stevanovic — Docic (Radonjic 65), Fofana, Matic, Masovic (Mandic 65), Jankovic, Obeng (Srnic 87), Djuric, Zivkovic, Masovic, TomicGéresi 76

Videoton FC:
Kovácsik — Stopira, Vinícius, Lang, Szolnoki — Pátkai, Simon (Oliveira 79) — Bódi, Suljic, Barczi — Géresi (Feczesin 79)

2016.07.21. Belgrád Čukarički Stadion

Referees: Alexandre Boucaut, Jimmy Cremers, Kristof Meers, Christof Dierick

Videoton were in Europa League action on Thursday evening in Belgrade, Serbia.

They faced FK Čukarički in the Q2, 2nd leg after winning the 1st leg 2-0 last week. Henning Berg made one change to his side from a week ago. Loic Nego was replaced by Adam Simon with around 100 travelling supporters making the long journey from Szekesfehervar.

Vidi lined up in their smart blue kit and kicked off the match with a place in Q3 at stake. The first action came after 6 minutes when Docic shot from 17 meters, which was well saved by Kovacsik. Suljic tried his luck at the other end, but there was not enough power in his shot. The home side went ahead on the night after 13 minutes: Fofana was played in on the right of goal, and he slid the ball beyond Kovacsik and into the bottom corner to make it 1-0.

Zivkovic ran towards goal after 23 minutes before hitting his shot over the bar from 17 meters. Geresi on the half hour mark, and Barczi two minutes later had shots that were saved by keeper Stevanovic. Patkai was also in the thick of the action a minute later with his left foot shot going over. Barczi centred from the right towards the end of the first half, which was controlled by Geresi with his back to goal. The youngster turned and saw his shot go into the side netting. It was Čukarički that went in at the break leading 1-0, but trailing 2-1 on aggregate.
Alen Masovic had two shots on goal as the second half kicked off. One of them went wide with the other being saved by Kovacsik. Vidi came close to levelling after 50 minutes. Geresi did well to beat his man, and shot just over the bar from a tight angle. A one-two between Bodi and Suljic after 64 minutes ended with Stevanovic producing a good save. Videoton scored the all important equaliser on 76 minutes. Patkai slid a smart ball in when well placed to shoot, but his pass found Geresi, who calmly passed the ball into the back of the net from 8 meters (1-1).

There was a clash between players of both sides after a challenge on the touchline. The Belgium official sent Čukarički manager Milan Lesnjak to the stands as a result. Szolnoki and Matic were both shown yellow cards. The Serbian keeper denied Barczi towards the end, while a low cross in time added on from Oliveira, was cleared by a defender ahead of the waiting Patkai.
There was no further change to the score and Videoton progressed to Q3 after winning 3-1 on aggregate. Danish side Midtjylland will be the opponents. The first leg will be played next week in Felcsut. The return leg in Herning will take place a week later.

Source: Press release –

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.