According to travelo.hu, one of the most popular global touristic websites, TripAdvisor regularly puts together lists about the world’s greatest destinations. Hungarian hotels have been featured on toplists previously, but this time, the Hungarian Parliament was chosen as one of the most popular landmarks of the world.
The Top 25 Landmarks of the World list is based on the travellers’ choice, meaning that the list was put together according to the votes of users. The top three includes Angkor Wat in Cambodia, Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque Center in the United Arab Emirates and the Mezquita Cathedral of Cordoba.
The Hungarian Parliament is mentioned in the 14th place, which is quite illustrious considering the company of world-famous sights on the list. One of the website’s users described the Parliament: “it dominates the Danube riverbank, and at night it’s illuminated with thousands of lights—the seagulls that were after bugs looked like shining stars”.
Besides being the top sight in the Central-Eastern European region, the Parliament came before popular sights like the Notre Dame of Paris, the Big Ben of London, the Acropolis of Athens and the beautiful main square of Krakow.
The top 25 landmarks of the world:
- Angkor Wat – Siem Reap, Cambodia
- Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque Center – Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- Mezquita Cathedral de Cordoba – Cordoba, Spain
- Peter’s Basilica – Vatican City, Italy
- Taj Mahal – Agra, India
- Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood – St. Petersburg, Russia
- Great Wall at Mutianyu – Beijing, China
- Machu Picchu – Machu Picchu, Peru
- Plaza de España – Seville, Spain
- Duomo di Milano – Milan, Italy
- Golden Gate Bridge – San Francisco, California
- Lincoln Memorial – Washington DC, District of Columbia
- Eiffel Tower – Paris, France
- Parliament – Budapest, Hungary
- Notre Dame Cathedral – Paris, France
- Corcovado Christ the Redeemer – Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Big Ben – London, United Kingdom
- Acropolis – Athens, Greece
- Main Market Square – Krakow, Poland
- El Ateneo Grand Splendid – Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Temple of the Reclining Buddha (Wat Pho) – Bangkok, Thailand
- Burj Khalifa – Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Fushimi Inari-taisha Shrine – Kyoto, Japan
- Ruinas Mayas de Tulum – Tulum, Mexico
- Sydney Opera House – Sydney, Australia